GSB crashing loading first battle

installed the game and fired it up then just watched the first level fly by even though it was obvious the battle would be lost then restarted so i could have a go at putting in my own ship and try a new formation. Haven’t been able to play since as it just pops up a windows forced to close blah blah requester. Now I went looking through the games install folder as I seem to remember Cliff usually puts a debug.txt in there which might show the problem.

----DEBUG FILE----
Windows XP detected
GSB Debug File. App version Beta 1.0
Desktop resolution is 1024 x 768
Initialising Direct3D
Initialising global vertex buffer
creating render targets
success in initialising 3D
Initialising Direct Input
Finished Initialising Direct Input
Initialising Sound Engine
Finished Initialising Sound Engine
Ship Design not found ->_federation tiger armoured:…\src\SIM_ShipDesign.cpp 494

Ship Design not found ->_federation gazelle:…\src\SIM_ShipDesign.cpp 494

Ship Design not found ->_federation fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipDesign.cpp 494

Ship Design not found ->_federation fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipDesign.cpp 494

I’ll try resinstalling from scratch I think and not design any new ships for now. If it’s any help all i did was load in one of the default fighter designs and created a new one which i then saved. I then saved a new formation design as name “Level One” so I could tinker with it later on if it went badly in battle. I also tried just launching a battle using the default formation after it wouldn’t work with my custom one but game still crashed out every time. The debug text is the same no matter which load-out I use now as i deleted it and ran the game again to confirm the text was the same.

It’s actually got a lot worse now.

1. Reinstal the game and the problem was still there.
  2. Remove original installation and reinstall - problem still there.
  3. remove original installation and delete the gsb game folder in my documents/mygames - problem still there
  4. remove again, restart pc, reinstall - problem still there
  5. read all the bug threads in this forum for clues - problem still there.
  6. turn sound off - problem still there.
  7. run in a window - problem still there.
  8. turn off all graphic effects - problem still there.

Just to make it clear I have had a battle up and running right after first install when I didn’t change anything. As far as I can tell i’ve removed any custom files that would have been created before trying to play again and it bombs out loading up and starting a battle up. The title screen visuals and all that all work fine up till that point.

Right, tinkered some more and reread some of the other posts in the support forum. I now turned down all the sound levels and not just master sound and it loads up. Another victim of fmod by the sounds of it. Odd that the debug text is listing missing files though.

Yup, those missing file warnings are actually false alarms triggerd by the menu background battle, and total red herrings for any real bugs.

By the way it looks like once you have disabled menu battle it wont come back when you switch it on again. Happened to me anyway and it’s never come back since i switched it off originally while trying to find the earlier problem.

I’m getting this error on startup. I use to get the crash on first battle. I don’t know what changed.

Error 41. Please contact tech Support: …\src\Game.cpp 242

Any suggestions?

Try this:

viewtopic.php?p=12807#p12807