Game Crashes on start

Hey GSB keeps crashing on start, I get the main menu but no buttons on the bottom, after a few seconds It crashes and I get an error report (that’s too fast to read).
After I check the Debug file it just mentions missing the Order Salvation fighter (for which the files appear to be located in the proper directory)

Ideas or help?

I should also mention that I installed a mod that added additional hulls to the game and did not delete them before uninstalling GSB, would this affect my game or be the source of the error? What would be the Solution?

Thanks for listening.

Greetings wikingwarrior

Based on your discription, I would suggest that you start by delete your ship designs in \My Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles\ships
You might have some ship designs that are using the hulls that have been uninstalled.

If this does not work then can you post the debug file to help give an idea on what files you are missing.

Hey, thanks for the reply, unfortunetly the ship delete solution didn’t work. Here are the Text documents inside the Debug folder.

Debug

----DEBUG FILE----
Windows Vista detected
GSB Debug File. App version Full 1.32
Desktop resolution is 1920 x 1200
Initialising Direct3D
Initialising global vertex buffer
creating render targets
success in initialising 3D
Initialising Direct Input
Finished Initialising Direct Input
Initialising Sound Engine
Initialised Sound System with 512 channels

Finished Initialising Sound Engine
releasing D3D engine
D3D released
END DEBUG—

Draw Debug

textbutton_h.dds
dialog_titlebar.dds
button_close.dds
button_close_h.dds
border_depth.dds
debris.dds
contrails.dds
escapepod.dds
escapepodengines.dds
shield_impact.dds
client_interlace.dds
dialog_client.dds
19px_highlight.dds
19px_highlight_black.dds
smokeclouds.dds
runninglight.dds
shield_collapse.dds
Releasing texture: border_depth.dds
Releasing texture: rt_ship
Releasing texture: rt_offscreen1
Releasing texture: rt_offscreen2
Releasing texture: rt_transition
Releasing texture: titlescreen2048.bmp
Releasing texture: cwfont20.dds
Releasing texture: zekton16.dds
Releasing texture: box_background.jpg
Releasing texture: textbutton.dds
Releasing texture: textbutton_h.dds
Releasing texture: dialog_titlebar.dds
Releasing texture: button_close.dds
Releasing texture: button_close_h.dds
Releasing texture: debris.dds
Releasing texture: contrails.dds
Releasing texture: escapepod.dds
Releasing texture: escapepodengines.dds
Releasing texture: shield_impact.dds
Releasing texture: client_interlace.dds
Releasing texture: dialog_client.dds
Releasing texture: 19px_highlight.dds
Releasing texture: 19px_highlight_black.dds
Releasing texture: smokeclouds.dds
Releasing texture: runninglight.dds
Releasing texture: shield_collapse.dds

and Errors

16/2/2010 - 12::46 - Ship Hull not found ->order_salvation_fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 482
16/2/2010 - 12::58 - Ship Hull not found ->order_salvation_fighter:…\src\SIM_ShipHull.cpp 482

The errors folder seems to be the only one that says anything but I haven’t been able to fix the lack of the Salvation fighter, I’ve uninstalled and Reinstalled quite a few times.

Hmmm,

Looks like we have to do this the hard way and look for what is calling for the “order_salvation_fighter”

Question:

• Which install are you using and for what platform (this gives the forum an idea of what file structure we are looking at)
  • Which version of GSB (probally not critical but every bit helps)
  • Which mods are you currently using (any personal ones or downloaded from the net)
  • Have you deleted the directories of any mods your not using ?

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I’m getting the exact same error, and I just purchased this with the Humble Indie Bundle.

I’ve tried using both the Windows Platform direct download, as well as through Steam.

I’m actually not sure what version I’m using, I’m assuming the most up to date, since Steam’s normally pretty good about that.

I haven’t installed any mods, I haven’t actually been able to get it to run properly ever. As an interesting side note, whenever it runs and fails, the exe deletes itself. I had comodo turned on when I initially installed it, and it flagged it as a trojan, but I still don’t have any luck when installing it and running it with comodo shut down.

I apologize for the late post, I’ve been busy as of late.

• It’s bought and installed through Steam
  • It should be the most up to date version
  • The Classic Dreadnoughts one but I deleted everything for it (although I forgot to delete the ships beforehand)

thanks.

GSB strongly dislikes having orphaned modules or hulls left behind after the player removes other remaining modded content. It’s also going to crash if you still have saved ship designs which you based upon hulls from a removed mod.

Oh, and as the creator of the Classic Dreadnoughts, I thank you for playing them. :slight_smile:

Hey it’s a great mod, I just forgot about it when unistalling. Is their a solution somewhere? I tried reinstalling the mod but that doesn’t seem to work.

I tried installing a humble bundle version also (through steam) and it still crashed in the same way. Does anyone know how to deal with these loose hulls?