[Guide] GSB_1_ "Modding 101" Guide

The trouble with a negative tractor beam weight value is this: the A.I. is NOT programmed to use it on YOUR SHIPS to make them faster.

I know this because I tried to make a shield support beam that would drain my enemies shields. And when I armed a cruiser with nothing BUT this weapon on the tutorial level it proceeded to do absolutely NOTHING at all.

It’s safe to assume your negative weight tractor beam would have a similar result…Because the A.I. running the ship is not smart enough to TRY and use it in such a creative way. The A.I. sees the tractor beam and says “If I use that on enemy ships it’ll just make them faster, WHY do I want to make them faster?”

if it COULD work that way it’d be very cool though. Just like if you could run the radiation damage through a tractor beam (No such luck, Darkstar already tried)

THAT is my idea, a super fighter accelerator. A weapon with a good balance push-firing speed, should give to a ship more chances to suvirve cuz at least half of the fighters will have to return to firing range.

EDIT: After a fast test, the tractor beam just doesnt work with negative weight values. I will try with limpet mines ^^

Question: I purchased the game over Steam, and only ran into the fourum about… a half hour to an hour ago ^^;

I was curious if the mod-adding procedures may be a bit different or not, if even possible. I do like the look of some of the GSB mods :3

some mods have instructions on how to install the mod. like Uni-T: http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4550

The procedure for a direct-bought and Steam-bought game are the same, the files just go in a different place (Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\gratuitous space battles).

Thankie sir :3

Mind-bogglingly stupid question, but I think it needs to be covered in Modding 101:

Can someone show the file structure that has to be followed to get a new race mod to work? I think I’ve got everything put together for a very minimal race, put in the right spot, and GSB crashed immediately. From what I know about how GSB finds the various files etc., it should all be in the right place. So I need the Complete Bleeping Moron’s Guide to “installing” your own mod.

Or failing that, I’d take a tip of the form “Use this program and follow the instructions and everything is guaranteed to work.”

This is what i use for mine, do note i have it installed on another drive.
F:\Games\GSB\Data\eve-online
Then in the
F:\Games\GSB\Data\install
You open a file in there and rename it to what you want it to pointing to the path above.

Within the eve-online folder you simply add in the folders that you need to make the mod run just. If you are confused think of the eve-online folder and the main GSB folder and just make them look the same there.

If someone cam explain this better please go ahead.

Okay, another question that should be self-explanatory and manages to not be. I understand that mapping stuff in the ship txt files is based on (X,Y) coordinates on a 256X256 sprite. Here’s the question I can’t seem to find an answer for:

What corner is the (0,0) point?

In math, it was always the lower left; in Paint.net (which I’m using to edit sprites), it’s the upper left. I’m confused and frustrated. Help please.

short awnser: upper left.

long awnser: upper left. you can use paint.net to see the coordinates directly.

tip: when i use ship sprites that are larger than usual (1024 and up) i dont resize it to 256 when i edit coordinates. instead i read the X,Y parts and devide them by 4 (if its 1024 (8 if its 2048)) that way, i get more precise numbers.

Thankee sir. Honestly, so far I use the same method - mostly because I don’t want to accidentally save my sprite at the 256 size. I prefer the 1024 resolution (at a minimum).

Aaand … another question.

Is there a guide somewhere around here that covers the [hulk] section of a ship’s txt file? The main ship editing guide is very good, but it doesn’t cover that section, and I don’t think I have the right idea of how it works.

Little help would be appreciated.

I’m posting this small guide here so it can be easier for future modders to find.

How to make a Bullet Type Weapon using Missile Codes

Courtesy of the Friendly Community Mod Squad ^^

Oooh thanks for that tit-bit of information there were a few things in there that have intrigued me greatly, thanks xD

I am not 100% sure if it is posted in here, too busy to really look right now.

But is there a example and explanation on how to make the turret mapping file itself? The 512 by 512 dds file that has ALL the turrets both working and destroyed ones in it. With the influx of new players modding I feel that it would be great to have someone talk about it in here in detail. I EVEN do not fully understand the whole turret mapping file, but enough that I can remake them using one that is already there as a guide and making the new one atop it in another layer. But I feel that I even have some centering issues in my technique.

On the first page you have this section:

Creating your own Turrets:
Quick guide on what is required to get your own custom turrets into the game
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4550&p=33932#p33802

Should answer some of oyur questions

Got a question, were is saved the hull.txt that you modify with the ingame hull editor?

doesnt it replace the current one? i dont know, cuz i have never successfully saved… but i thought it replaced the one that the game was using…

Ponyus is correct, it overwrites the ingame hull.
So if you modify the Federation Eagle Cruiser in the ingame hull editor - it will save over:
Gratuitous Space Battles\data\hulls\federation\Federation Eagle Cruiser.txt

This is why great care must be taken when using the editor.
The only backups are the ones you make yourself

Ohhhh, nice, i will use it to make minor edits to PI hulls ^^