[Mod] Cycling Infrastructure Policy (V1.1)

Cycling Infrastructure Policy
v1.1 UPDATED!!! 14th October 2013
By Matthew Jackson (MattJackson on Steam, add me!)

Hey folks! Can I just say, having played Democracy 2 I’m thoroughly enjoying the new addition to the franchise. No other “game” or simulation really lives up to what Democracy has to offer. I’m currently studying Town & Regional Planning at University and long story short, cycling and transport in general is of real importance to me. Anyhow, I decided to come up with a mod and had a play-about with the new modding system (which, can I just say is really quite easy!)

I think it’s pretty much spot-on but I’d appreciate some feedback if there are any problems or if people would like to suggest some improvements or additions!

Thanks guys!
Cycling Infrastructure Policy v1.1.zip (7.86 KB)

This is a nice little mod! I’ll definitely be using this one. My only couple of comments, which are both very small, are:

• I’d suggest possibly adding a negative reaction from motorists? My experience suggests that a lot of motorists don’t really like cyclists, and cycling lanes take up road they could be using.
  • Maybe also have the health effect take longer to come in? At the moment it’s zero delay.

But I really like it! Thanks for sharing.

-El

Do you mind me building a mod installer for this and adding it to the website?

I like the idea; I don’t like the implementation.

Cycle infrastructure is a good thing to have in the game, and I thank you for doing it. However, I’ve got two big issues with the mod as stands.

1. The description of the policy is incre biased. I totally get that you’re strongly in favour of this - I agree! But if you read pretty much any policy in the game, the description is quite neutrally phrased. This is basically a short paragraph about why it’s an amazing idea, topped off with a nod to capitalists not liking wasting money on it.

2. Similarly, the effects (while reasonable in their targets) are monstrously overpowered. With the sliders set to maximum, you get a greater increase in commuter memberships and income than maximum bus and train subsidies combined. There’s an instant boost to health approximately equal to state healthcare at 50%!

I don’t dispute that these effects will happen; but at the moment, their impact is, in my opinion, greatly exaggerated. I’d suggest a significant reduction to the above effects, coupled with some serious motorist displeasure.

I have to agree, I thought the effects did seem a bit major, compared to other effects in the game…

Hey guys!

Thank you very much for all of your feedback, it’s greatly appreciated. I’m going to work on an update, mainly to change the effects and some values here and there and write a reworded description. I completely agree with you though, I am far too biased! Haha

I have no problem if you would like to pop this in an installer package for me, tried to do it myself but found it too complicated so opted for the manual method!

Sorry for the double post here, but I’ve just updated the mod!

See changelog above, please keep your feedback coming!

Odd. I don’t seem to be able to get the new version to work. It’s entirely possible this is user error - is anyone else having problems?

The new description is much better and much more in line with the other policies. I won’t be able to offer any sensible comment on the new effects until I can get it working, but the reduction sounds good.

installed it, worked like a charm. can’t tell much about the effects since i just run the game to see if it works, but they seemed ok.
Only thing is, the icon is in the folder bitmap, had to create the policies folder by myself and until now it won’t appear in the game