The campaign modding thread

i understand what you are saying, but it is because of the time cliffski would have to put in that i suggested a cost for the modded content. If it were to be without a financial benefit for cliffski then he would be unwise to spend his time on it.

It may be a good idea to have some central location where people can obtain mods. It would have to allow some sensible version tracking scheme though. I’ve seen forums used to distribute mods where a new thread was started for each new version that got uploaded. Multiplied by a large number of mods, and it quickly becomes a nightmare, particularly with the most recent comments not necessarily being on the most recent versions (in fact, often on the most buggy versions). This would also allow mod content to potentially be pulled down programmatically, so the game (or a mod manager tool) could obtain the required files automatically.

It’s not a small undertaking though, so it may remain a wish-list entry.

the first thing what i have done when i got my hand on the campaign was put my modded race true campaign test… so it works fine with moded stuff

[b]ok i don’t know if somebody did this but this can be helpful

Planet list: :)[/b]

you can find the txt files in mainfolder/campaign/data/encounters/

what are hopcounts??

how big the galaxy map can be??

Cliffski would you mind stating what the following refers to/does.

under gsb/campaign/data/encounters. what does the folling in the individual files do? : enemyfleetcost = 3500 :

hopcounts are how many systems you have to cross to get from the current planet to the planet listed. So to a neighbour, its 1, to itself it’s 0, and so on. Hopcounts are used in ‘spreading fear’ which is one of the subsystems in the game that builds up enemy fleets. if you win a powerful victory against the enemy, fear will spread to adjacent systems, getting less and less as it travels further. That fear motivates a growth in the size of enemy fleets.
The fear drops with each hop in the hopcount, hence the need to have them calculated for any given campaign layout.

The base fleet cost is the level of the enemy fleet (the MAX cost) assuming no fear, no adjacent player fleet to intimidate them, and no prior fleet already placed at that location.

thank you

Thanks Cliffsky for response to… I am just starting to expand the galaxy… the max size seems to be around X: 8000 Y:8000… after 13000 the planets are so small that they become invisible and untraceable… or there can be something done with the “zoom out” just mmake it more zoom out…

Oh and have you any ready exel algorythm to count the hop count ??

what to do with this problem:

quick qurstion regarding how the enemy determines it’s size based on your bordering fleets.

if i have to planets connecting to an enemy planet, and each planet has a 5k health/strength. does the single enemy planet count the threat as a 5k threat or a 10k threat?

Cliffski, three questions for you:

Easy question: Are the names of planets fully moddable? As long as I input the new value into the relevant Encounter file, would that be sufficient? I hope that there isn’t anything else in the code that’s expecting to find a text string corresponding to a planet name that I had already changed to something else – just as long as the planet’s “ec” number remains unchanged for purposes of the campaign.txt file, right?

Almost-as-easy question: What’s the maximum number of wormhole links a single planet can accept?

Harder question: How does a player translate the [terrain] string in each planet’s Encounter file? For example, here’s the terrain for Sullgobah, the human player’s homeworld:

[terrain] 0 = 683.91,716.80,1.0,spindle_planet2.dds,0,0,0,1.0,1.0,512.00,512.00,0,1
I admit I don’t know where to begin with this enigma. What does each section of that string govern? I want to change limitations such as “no cruisers” or “shield inoperable” (among other possibilities). There must be other interesting features that this string controls, too. If you would kindly give us a description of exactly how to interpret the string and what the legal range for each value is, I’d appreciate it. I get the very strong hunch that much of the flavor I want to play with resides therein.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

I haven’t messed around with the campaign yet but that line is really similar to a feature Cliffski added for modded scenarios several months ago.

Thread here.

yes you can change the names… i have done that with every planet (52 planets that is) already

hmm i don’t know but i will make an experiment for you and start with 10… and 12 connections are working fine… and 28 connections are working fine… so for me the answer is maxium number is= “number of all planet” -1

As far as modders releasing updates to their mods, couldn’t this still work if the modder simply changes the name of the package file each time they release a different version (and then you added the new version to your ‘allowed content’ folder on the server)?

To throw out an example, I’ll use N3MES1S’s galactic concordium mod since he uses a package file with it. He released version 1.3 on November 16. Say he does another release and calls it 1.4. His current package file is titled, “gsb_concordium.pkg”. He releases the new version with a new package file called “gsb_concordium1_4”.
Now say I install the new version on my computer. Wouldn’t the server now be able to tell that I have the new version instead of the old one? And then add his ships into the available campaign challenge fleets pool?

If we can have no unmodded content, can we have version content? Like, I am running a RMG version and every time I go up against th empire’s shield support beams they appear as white boxes, and every time they fire it lags like %^&&! HEEEEEELLLLPPPP CLLIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIII!!!

So if I create a small, insignificant mod and never make it available to the general public, but use on one ship in every fleet I use in the campaign, I will then only face fleets that I have previously created? What happens if I haven’t fought enough battles to create enough fleets of different sizes?

Conversely, if some mod-crazy individual fields a fleet, I will probably never encounter it, because the odds that I would have downloaded the correct set of mods are vanishingly slim.

True?

I’m don’t know if that fits the modding forum or in the general forum better, so I mention this here as well.

Random Galaxy generator for the conquest game:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6378

I’m trying to find out where the map size for each world is defined (in campaign mode). I can’t find it.
Does someone know where it is defined or how it is calculated?

Hey I was just wondering seeing as its possible to make your own map is it possible to limit the AI ship to certain ones, say of a certain mod? I could think of allot of interesting things to do if its possible. For example fight the growing spread of GSZ then fight your way to there home planet and boss! :smiley: