[Utility] GSBEdit: any modder interest? (was: Modding tools)

Quick status update: I’m back at work, and hacking away at hardware currently (unrelated to this, other than all the time work takes away from doing things like this). I’ve discovered that there are several inconsistencies in how Windows (and Linux as it turns out) handle changing the background colour of controls, so I’m having to revise my scheme for highlighting the required fields. I think it’ll look better though :wink: There are some niggling things left regarding modules, so I will post a list of questions related to module attributes soon and see if anyone can give me answers.

Apologies again for how slowly this is coming along, I was hoping to have put out something that people could try out before the new year. I will understand if future cookies are withheld.

nah, its fine :slight_smile:

i want this as much as anyone else, but its better that you take your time and mabye delay the release, than release a buggy tool that doesnt work half the times :slight_smile:

nevertheless here ya go (::slight_smile:

Cookie Monster give u cookies!

(::slight_smile: (::slight_smile:

Anyone out there making a mac editor? Come on, I have many cookies…

Mine should work on Mac as the only requirements are Python and wx (which are available). I won’t be able to test myself though, so some of you guys will have to be the testing team :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
That is very very very good… (::slight_smile: (::slight_smile: (::slight_smile:
If it doesn’t work I can play around with xcode, its the only coding i’m capable of…

Oh, it’ll work, there’s just likely to be some platform-specific tweaks that I’m not used to. The “fun” I’ve had making apps work on both Windows and Linux…

I made a Faenza GSB tool .svg icon. You can use it if you want to.
GSB-editor.svg.tar.gz (214 KB)

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
THX!!

EDIT: What program i need for open it?
EDIT2: Its just a icon?? waaa, I thought it was a program… D:

It’s an icon :wink:

That looks great Thalic. I think I may just have to use that :slight_smile:

I’ve finally got around to trying it out, and I can generate an exe for Windows users who don’t want to install python and learn how to run the scripts themselves :slight_smile:

Good. ^^ Any new screenshot of your progress?? -.-

I’m sure if I posted a screenshot then you guys would be disappointed… A combination of working on the back end, making unimpressive changes on the front end, and having a rather higher real-life workload than I expected. It is still progressing though. How about I aim to make an alpha release of the module editing functionality by the end of the month (the real month, not a Steam “end of the month”)?

I’m getting a bit worried that the initial excitement has all worn off and you guys are going to stop caring that this :expressionless:

As a side note, I am planning a mod (hopefully a very gratuitous mod), but I am intending to make it entirely within my program bit-by-bit as I add more features. The best way to see if I’m doing the right thing is to force myself to use what I make :slight_smile:

thats an exelent idea! good luck :slight_smile:

Today’s complimentary disappointing screenshot :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s not disappointing, that looks good!

EDIT: I noticed that the mod you mentioned is called “Core data”… Or is that just a placeholder?

As I haven’t shown this yet:

Edit:
On a related note, where do the installs of GSB go on different systems? For Steam on Windows XP I have “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\gratuitous space battles” and for Steam running under Wine I have “~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/gratuitous space battles”, but I don’t know any others.

I didnt get it with steam but on my mac its in My Macintosh’s Hard Drive/Applications/Gratuitous Space Battles