What are the sources for policy effects

Has Cliff ever listed what resources he uses to decide on policy effects? I know he puts a lot of research into the game and for certain effects which aren’t instinctive like the link between climate change and violence for example I’d like to learn more.

2 Likes

Google Searches. So I imagine articles & studies?

1 Like

I don’t think he has explicitly listed resources he has used when deciding policy effects.
You can infer / get some insights into the process from listening to his developer diaries however: Democracy 4 Developer Blog #42: Steam deck and mods - YouTube

My feeling based on listening to the developer diaries is that he does independent research on a general given topic (e.g. charity) but when he wants to model specific countries he will outsource research to someone else.

That being said @Chantern15 is right, that in the day of the internet, we can easily find resources.
A quick search of “rising temperatures and violent crime” gave me a lot of results, here is one that I skimmed through that talks convincingly about the correlation if taken at face value: The troubling ways a heatwave can warp your mind - BBC Future

Not very intuitive is it? Sometimes the world we live in it like that though.

3 Likes

Hmmmm…could be possible.