Who else wants a 'casual' MMORPG

So far, my favorite MMORPG is maplestory (nexon.com). It’s free, and I love the idea that you CAN pay to buy really neat things for your character. It’s almost what you’re talking about - very social, free, teamwork is a big key… but there is still so much grinding, and so much effort to get from level to level and then there’s the hackers that just make it a nightmare on occasion.
I enjoy working the quests, but there just aren’t enough of them.

I’d love to see a game just based on knowledge and quests. I started an idea for one based on the Harry Potter style school of magic, where you needed to learn different skills to complete different tasks, with the point being teamwork to dispell evil. -If you’re interested in that idea, I’d gladly share…lol

What you’re suggesting, though, sounds very Seinfeld-esque - a MMORPG about nothing…LOL Your day… that’s a RPG… what you do during the day, who you meet, where you go… that’s the RPG… am I getting close?

I kind of like the idea of turning KUDOs into a MMORPG. Where you can live your life, but if you want to meet people and socialize, you actually have to MEET people. They can offer you jobs once they get in a position to do so (a la the job invites you get from your group), you can go have a snowball fight if that’s what the weather shows. And based on the events, the people you invite can rank how they felt about the event.

indeed. I wish I had enough money and people to make a game like that.

Lulz, I is workin on a little RPG MMORPG project on a small scale, I earn enough money to hire a hitman and kill a president a month I dont need the monies.
And because I dont need the monies, the game will be free.
And even though the game will be free, it wont have crappy graphics.

And Level caps.
Neh, No one has levels

You just gotta find quests and other items to increase your stats.

And Goldminers.
If you goldmine, I will rape you.
And hire a hitman to kill you, >:3

Sorry if I sound dumb and the game I mention isn’t an mmrwotsit (don’t know names n such) but I think a good feature would be to have a pop up every few hrs or so that says “get off the game your girlfriend’s about to bash u over the head with something heavy”.

My boyfriends cousin introduced him to world of warcraft a year ago and he got addicted instantly.
When he was working he’d play it most of the weekend and on any days off, now he’s lost his job it’s every day for a minimum of 7 hrs p/d.
Wouldn’t care but we’ve got a 4 yr old son also grrrrrrrr

One thing I do agree with is what clifski said about not playing 4 money, levels whatever to succeed cos that winds me up more when he says he has to do this to get that etc.

I like games u can play 4 a while and then do something else and I see no fun fun in killing dwarfs/goblins whatever that’s y I love the kudos games so much, real life but fun

ok rant over sorry lol :blush:

I don’t see why people get so addicted to WoW. Obviously they have managed to do it somehow, but at the end of the day, they are just games, they should feel fun, not like a second job…

I can’t stand The Sims but, I would never consider the game part of a “small niche market” considering how many copies (and expansion packs) have sold. The numbers don’t lie. Kudos, on the other hand has a respectable following for an indie game (and I enjoy it for the reasons that I hate The Sims, but it is a game based on a similar premise with different gameplay). Still, to call those games “niche” is kinda naive. That’s like saying first person shooters are a niche market, or the entirety of sports based games are niche. Again, the numbers don’t lie.

I completely agree with you Cliffski. I do see the attraction of WoW, but I don’t understand the addiction. More importantly I find that paying for a game over and over and over is absolutely ridiculous. There are plenty of games out there to enjoy (and many with an online community and online gameplay) that do not require a monthly fee. Obviously, with over 10,000,000 users, there’s no way Blizzard is going to stop charging a fee to play now. It’s a little sad in some respects. I don’t see myself as any more intelligent than the people who do love and play WoW like an addict, but I do think that paying for the same game over and over is unintelligent. Some might argue that it’s like paying for a gym membership but those people are sadly out of touch with reality. I would be more understanding if the price to play was a nominal yearly fee (no more than $29 dollars) but this is mostly a case of greed because the WoW servers are not being updated every second nor every minute of every day (since that seems to be the excuse for willingness to pay constantly for the same thing), and even if they were doing constant updates (daily) and even if you had the time to notice, you would be in some serious need of intervention and rehab. Is it worth it to play a game for tedium, grind, and back-and-forth gameplay? That’s up to the gamer. Is it worth it for the gamer to PAY to do these same things over and over and over… the answer is no, but I believe a number of these players either live in denial knowing this fact or don’t even notice the fact because they are addicts. That’s sad.

To stay on topic though, I think there is room for a “casual” MMORPG. The game “industry” and “market” is it’s own space, so the boundaries should be limitless in terms of imagination and inventiveness. Speaking of the “casual” MMORPG, I don’t know if it falls directly under the RPG category (yet), but I’ve found that Outside the Box Software (Chris Evans) has come up with a very interesting casual MMORPG of sorts that does not seem to fall prey to any level grind or tedium while also avoiding the whole dungeons and dragons theme but allowing players to grow with the game rather than constantly seek the next level-up. The game is called SocioTown and it almost looks much like a Sims type game but it is actually much more fun and interesting (the idea) in my opinion and it’s currently in the open beta stages so that anyone can check it out (plus it can be played straight through most Web Browsers). Considering the topic, you might want to check it out. No guarantees as to whether it’s to your liking, but I certainly found it interesting and entertaining, even before playing it just reading about it caught my interest. Here’s a link for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.sociotown.com/

Cheers!