Breaks Windows 10 HDR Colors

Running the game (and after quitting the game) messes up Windows colors in HDR mode. Becomes low contrast, crazy high color saturation. Colors return to normal after restarting computer, but not after just turning HDR off and on.

Running version 1.38 from Steam.

2 Likes

Hi, does this still happen if the game runs in windowed mode? it would be super weird if it did. The game is using SDL, and specifically opengl 2, which is relatively old tech in terms of rendering, so it shouldn’t really cause any problems with something like HDR.
Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?

2 Likes

I’m running the latest Nvidia drivers (472.12) and Windows 10 build 19043.

Yes, if I select a different resolution than “Full Desktop”, to force windowed mode, then HDR works fine. But, 1920x1080 isn’t one of the options and if I uncheck “Fullscreen”, while in “Full Desktop”, and apply, the game reverts back to “Fullscreen”, so can’t do 1080 while windowed.

1 Like

I am looking into this, although that code is a bit of a nightmare :frowning:

2 Likes

Looks like the problem isn’t specific to Democracy. Just saw the same problem with Skyrim: Special Edition. So, might be some incompatibility between HDR, full-screen exclusive mode, and older renderers. Maybe a new API is needed for it to work?

1 Like

New Nvidia driver out today (496.13) looks to have fixed this :grinning: Thanks for looking into it, though!

1 Like

If you think HDR in windows is a mess, take a look at DPI. To describe it as coded by rival warring teams (at least twelve) of software developers who hate each other and try to sabotage each other is to be generous :D.
The DisableDPI aware checkbox and the render scaling slider are both complex hacks to try and get the game playable regardless what weird random combination of windows 11 settings has been selected by each player.

2 Likes