Car pathfinding and balance between routes..

imgur.com/a/zyv3a (see the red squares, those stations receive hardly any cars)

For example I have a paint station that splits up into three paths so the cars can go to 3 different drying stations. But the center one is hardly used, the cars go left and right 90% of the time.

How can I make it so that if I make 3 paths, each path gets roughly 33% of the cars? Or rather I’d just have it “smart” so the car goes on the path with the least cars…

Can onyone shed some light?

Hi SNJ688,

place the middle dryer one more tile away from the painter so in any case there will be 1 or more tiles between the junction and the dryer.

I’ve no idea why the middle slot (or any inline) will not be used.

Hope this will help …

Thanks! I will try that, also I hadn’t thought of that setup, saves some width on the line, nice :smiley:

If you like compact lines you could try this.

Makes the line a bit longer, but doesn’t go very wide, so easier to have 2 lines next to each other as I usually work with 3 painters in 1 production line.
If there is trouble with cars not wanting to go into the 1st dryer station, you could move the left conveyor up to the left, making the whole setup a bit wider.

yeah but this design has again the ‘problem’ that an empty slot will be passed by a vehicle …

… but the idea to rotate the slots by 90° is a good. So maybe this layout may fit both - 1 conveyor tile between the last crossing and the slot and a slim shape:

In this case the 2nd step of painting could be placed like the first one so a complete painting section would need 20 x 4 tiles.

Yeah I wrote that in the last line of my post to move the left conveyor to the left, but I like that solution too. Keeps the layout 4 wide instead of 5.

its definitely because the distance to the dryer is shorter on the middle path. if you made them the same conveyor distance away then I think it would be more evenly distributed.

I now always leave at least 1 square of conveyor between the splits and the machines. That way it’s more balanced. You can do that by having your “split” in between the two machines instead of right in front of one.

MaN1aC sample is a good one. Remember that in his screenshot cars are coming from the top right.