Democracy 4 Developer Blog #16: Boosting Conservatives

Enjoy!

1 Like

I’m wondering if the disposable income graph is realistic? I don’t believe that there is any evidence to suggest that in real life disposable incomes are based on a bell curve. Lots of work done by Piketty and other economists to show real distribution and inequality.

Also, limiting it to $150k at the top end - does that limit the role of taxes that would target the ultra rich such as taxes on wealth?

Its not 100% realistic I agree, and I would like to do some tweaking to slant it to represent income distribution more accurately. There has to be a cut-off for the top income, otherwise without some complex logaithmic shenanigans the overhwleming majority of the population ends up in the leftmost 10% of the graph! We only simulate 2000 voters, so we can assume more voters exist, and a tiny fraction of them are above that $150k income level.

I do hope you can’t exploit the fact that voter groups are enlarged by things that piss them off too much. You can’t run as a Law and Order president if the situation has continued or gotten worse under your governance (well, you can it just doesn’t work).

I dont think it would work long term. For example conservatives will be angered by crime and riots, but their existence will lead to more conservatives. That means you are in danger of having an angry conservative majority and thus losing.

I guess the ‘perpetual rule’ tactic’ would be to fix crime enough to stop conservatives being angry, but not enough they they chill out and become liberals…

Of course the challenge of the game is implictly thats its a sort-of-personality test. Are you really prepared to tolerate ongoing crime and an angry supporter base because you fear that fixing the countries problems may lead to an eventual election loss? :smiley:

1 Like