I recently bought GSB and the campaign extension to run on my Linux machine through wine, and am really enjoying it. There is one fairly annoying bug, though, and I’d like to ask whether I could help track it down (say by posting crash dumps or testing proposed fixes).
The game appears to crash - that is, the screen stops updating or responding, and sometimes the process is marked in the process listing - when carrying out network operations. Not every time, and some of the network operations appear to complete successfully. But in particular, when I attempt to download an updated list of challenges, GSB seems to crash every time. Fortunately it seems to download all the challenges, so I can simply kill and restart GSB and get the challenge list.
More annoying but less repeatable is when the game crashes while downloading a battle or uploading results in campaign mode. This forces me to restart the turn, which is annoying, particularly when I just managed to win a marginal battle. The campaign mode is still playable, but much more frustrating than it ought to be.
I am using the stock wine for ubuntu Maverick Meerkat (10.10, wine version 1.2.1-0ubuntu1) on an aging i386 laptop (pentium-M 1.6 GHz) with built-in Intel graphics. I am on an ethernet LAN behind a DSL modem that provides NAT. Perfectly usual network setup, works fine for all sorts of network operations.
I realize that wine is not a supported platform for GSB, but for the most part it does work, and so if by providing crash logs or whatever I can help make this game work better, I’d be happy to. Failing that, perhaps other wine users can report on whether they’ve encountered this, and if so, whether they had any luck fixing it.