Game wont start.

as the titel say i cant start the game.

bought it from steam were i found a list of things others tried to make it work including : updating graphic drivers, updating direct x, renaming direct x file in the democracy folder, running the game as admin, reinstalling, i think there was a few more.

nothing of it helped! and i am getting a bit fustrated having spend money and days trying to get what i payed for! my pc is above the minimum so i have no idea why it wont run. if i run it two times it will tell me it is alreaddy running.

I noticed that you ask people to find pref.ini and other files at documents\my games\democracy3… the closest Win XP have to that is C:\Documents and Settings*USER*\My Documents\My Games but there is no democracy to be found. in fact on all my computer the only files or folders named Democracy is the instalation folder and exe (including hidden) searching for pref.ini comes up with two hits but both located and belonging to other games! so i am starting to think it is simply a problem with thoes missing files and folders… but were are they suppose to be in win xp?

Hello there, this sounds like some kind of permissions problem. Basically the first thing the game does is create a bunch of folders under My Documents\My Games. This is where the prefs.ini goes and the debug logs. If those folders cannot be created, the game is doomed and will not run.
There is no good reason why the game can’t create them, as My Documents specifically exists to make this possible. However… Sometimes some peoples PC’s have security/internet monitoring software that gets ultra paranoid and blocks games from writing out certain files. Some viruses and malware can create similar problems. If you have anything like Norton Internet Security or similar, please uninstall it (it is worse than useless), also check your pc for any unusual security settings, viruses or malware.

I disabled the little anti virus i do use. and the ran both ad-awere and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware witout finding anything. and still when i reinstall the game it wont create and folder like all the rest of my games in the my games folder :frowning:

to me it sounds a bit funny that some malwere should block only this one game. but lets say that is the case. would i not just be able to copy paste the holde thing from another instalation? and then maby make a few resolution etc ajustments to make it fit my setup?

Not sure what part that fixed it. but incase someone have the same problem! try installing in on another computer. and then transfer it to your computer you wanna play it on. then let steam validate everything. that did the trick for me. still hav no clue why i cant make steam create the needed folders. when it do it for all other games with no fuss… but it worked this way for me