GSB crashes on start, sticky solutions don't seem to work

Hello all,

I’ve recently acquired GSB through the humble bundle, using steam to download it, and I’m having some trouble getting the game to run. Hopefully someone out here can help me out.

The first time I tried to run the game, nothing appeared to happen (I later learned that the game created the C:\Users****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles file at this time, and apparently exited or crashed immediately afterward). On second start, I got a “FAILED TO INITIALIZE 3D GAME” error. After some searching here and adding a [prefs] section with width = 1280 and height = 1024 (my display’s native resolution) to my prefs.ini file (which was completely blank), this error appeared to be resolved. Now, however, the game crashes with the “GSB.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem.” I get a brief flash of the splash screen right before the game crashes. I’ve tried solutions as outlined in this thread but to no avail.

My debug.txt file looks like this:

----DEBUG FILE----
Windows 7 detected
GSB Debug File. App version Full 1.59
Desktop resolution is 1280 x 1024
Initialising Direct3D
Initialising global vertex buffer
creating render targets
success in initialising 3D
Initialising Direct Input
Finished Initialising Direct Input
Initialising Sound Engine

It appears that the game crashes during initialization of the sound engine. My soundcard is on-board, realtek HD audio (that sounds vague to me but it’s the best I could find). Other possibly relevant system specs:

Intel Core i5-2500k
8GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
64bit Windows 7

Alright, that’s all relevant information I can think of. Hopefully you can help me with this issue.