How easily you will be able to change Kudos: Rock Legend

I’ve tried modifying in both notepad and word. I get the same thing.

Notepad shouldn’t give you a problem unless you edited the file with Word first.

I think I tried notepad first. It shouldn’t matter though, since I haven’t gotten it to save even once.

Make sure the file itself isn’t Read-only.

No. It’s not read only.

I tried to modify Rock Legend/data/simulation files but whatether i change game crashes to windows. Why?

make sure you don’t use a text editor that formats the files badly (some of them do). You can open a file, change 1 character and save it, and if that breaks it, the formatting is being changed. I recommend textpad.

I sorted out that problem by making a copy of the file in My Documents. You can then edit it to your hearts content and save it without problem. Then you just copy it back to your Rock Legend directory. I have noticed that modifying the more difficult melodies and shortening them doesn’t work. Maybe they’re coded into the exe file.

actually it does work except one set (piano or similar instrument) that seems to be hard coded - i just shortened the practice to 5 notes - now iam able to have practice with 130bpm after a long working day :smiley:
Maybe one needs to start a new game to make this work - dont know about this.

1. is most of the Text (like names of abilities - and that what is shown at the gig screen) moddable ?

2. is the computation for the results of a gig (like motivation - inspiration, stress,…) moddable - i dont mean the upper and lower limits that can be set in the config but the actual formula ie the input variables and the output - thats what i want to mod !

3. what is the default level of stress - cause i seen something that reduces stress but the reduction has a degrade value - so it seems that after a relaxing day at the spa i would slowly “recover” to a higher stress level (unless that default level is zero which i dont know yet)

4. is there a function that makes a band member leave immediately once the stress level reach 100% or another se level ?

5. i guess the names for the auditionees are also taken from the fe/maleforenames.txt ?

6. a) any way to mod how the sales amount of merchandise and CDs is calculated ?
    b) if not can you give the formula
    c) the sellvalue for the merchandise is that *.99 value near the end of the corresponding line ?

7. is it possible to add something like durability for items such as instruments and the stage effects.
    kinda like "flaming guitar of loudness+2 [color=blue]durability 20/20 :slight_smile:
    you know something that doesnt survive 21 gigs , even without someone destructive around.

8. need to know what this is used for (config.txt):
    a) SLEEP_DURATION = 15.00
    b) PB_MARGINOFERROR = 0.1
    c) PB_MAXDIFF = 0.35

9. i guess that the effects of items or other options are fixed values ie. there cannot be formulas in it (like in kudos , unlike in democracy) ?!

SLEEP_DURATION is used for system speed versions, not the actual game. ignore it.
PB_MARGINOFERROR is unused as is PB_MAXDIFF

merchandise sales:

[code] float basechance = Quality + SIM_GetBand()->GetValue(“band_hype”);
float scalar = GETGLOBAL(“RS_MERCHANDISE_SCALAR”);
if(SIM_GetBand()->CountPersonalities(“businessman”) > 0)
{
scalar *= 1.25f;
}

basechance *= scalar;
CLAMP(basechance);

//adjust if a charity gig
if(PGig->GetType() == SIM_Gig::CHARITY)
{
	basechance *= GETGLOBAL("RS_CHARITY_GIG_MULTIPLIER");
}
CLAMP(basechance);

Sales[TSHIRTS] = basechance * Attendence * 0.4f;
Sales[SWEATSHIRTS] = basechance * Attendence * 0.15f;
Sales[POSTERS] = basechance * Attendence * 0.15f;[/code]

Hope that helps.

The code for the results of a gig is hugely complex and too long to post here but its does use a lot of variables from the config files.

thank you cliffski for answering a few of my questions (and that on a sunday :slight_smile:

so it looks like the merchandise is limited to these 3 types.

Btw. it is nice to know that businessman also helps with merchandise sales .

hope to hear a few information about the other questions too.

And here is a further question to “song_elements.csv”:
is the value from the "prereqs"column used - like check vs. the skill of musicianship ?

would be nice to make some “advanced” better quality note depending on a minimum skill.

Also i found maybe one cutncopy operation to much in that file :
the “basic drums” have in the type column the value “type” instead of smt. like “MUSIC”

Thank you for the help and the game(s) !

'you mean in /data/strings.ini on line 245?

GIGSCREEN_ALBUMSALES = "CDs Sold:" GIGSCREEN_ATTENDENCE = "Attendance:" GIGSCREEN_CHEMISTRY = "Chemistry:" GIGSCREEN_DAMAGE = "Backstage Damage:" GIGSCREEN_EXPERIENCE = "Experience:" GIGSCREEN_MERCHANDISE = "Merchandise:" GIGSCREEN_MUSICIANSHIP = "Musicianship:" GIGSCREEN_NOSTOCK = "Out of Stock" GIGSCREEN_OVERALL = "Overall:" GIGSCREEN_PERGIGCOSTS = "Expenses:" GIGSCREEN_POSTERS = "Poster Sales:" GIGSCREEN_PROFIT = "Profit:" GIGSCREEN_REHEARSAL = "Rehearsal:" GIGSCREEN_RENTAL = "Venue Hire:" GIGSCREEN_SONGS = "Songs:" GIGSCREEN_STAGESHOW = "Stage Show:" GIGSCREEN_SWEATSHIRTS = "Sweatshirt Sales:" GIGSCREEN_TICKETSALES = "Ticket Sales:" GIGSCREEN_TSHIRTS = "T-Shirt Sales:

The first thing I changed were the album titles and song names. Go to Rolling Stone’s Top 500 and you’ll go from playing cheesy video game songs to classics! Sadly Sgt. Pepper didn’t sell nearly as well for me as it did The Beatles :frowning:

I modified my practice melodies.txt table in notepad (after I backed up the original to melodies.bak).

The first practice session I did after the update used the new table… but sometime after that it reverted to the old table. So I moved the backup to a “backup” folder. Same results.

Another change I made to the table was to substitute the guitar sounds for the drum sounds as it seems I cannot hear the drums the way I do melodies. This change has remained stable.

I second the earlier observation that there must be more than one location for melody data.

(I am running a copy purchased from Big Fish Games on an XP machine.)

i work on vista as well as win XP referrin to
" procyonone wrote:I am currently trying to modify the melodies you play in the musicianship game. I have tried editing the melodies.txt file with both notepad and wordpad but it won’t allow me to save the updated file. Error message as follows.

Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Rock Legend\data\practice\melodies.txt file.
Make sure the path and file name are correct.

it worked fine in win XP but after changing the txt file but i had problems in vista.