Icon Creation

Well, after a great deal of commenting without contributing, I’m planning a fairly simple mod to implement some policies I’ve suggested previously.

The only thing presently stopping me dead is the issue of custom icons. I’m sure this seems painfully easy to those who’ve done it before, but could we get an idiots guide to icon creation?

Thanks kindly!

I don’t know if this is a brilliant guide, but I can share how I do it!

I use Gimp 2.0, with a plugin to handle .dds files (which the icons are). Both of these are free and can be found here:
gimp.org/
registry.gimp.org/node/70

Install Gimp and put dds.exe in your plug-in directory, which is probably somewhere like here:

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Now you should be able to open and save the dds files that icons are saved as.

The Democracy 3 policy icons to base them off of are “Democracy 3\data\bitmaps\policies”

I just use Gimp’s vector drawing tools to draw the icons, I think usually using 8.0 - 10.0 wide lines? They are just in white with the engine then handling the rest.

I hope that helped!

Also, I’m very much looking forward to seeing the final result.

-El

Might I offer my services?

I’m an out-of-work graphic designer and have contributed both to Simcity(2013)'s and Civ V’s mods in terms of brainstorming and asset creation.

What sorts of images would you need? Resolution? Filetype? thematic style?

Chucksef

If you’ve played the game you should know how the UI icons look like, but it’s a 128x128 sized image.

I second that Rick,

As someone who is semi competent with AI and paint and whatnot, I find GIMP to be very painful to use. I got it to run with the dds plugin but creating manipulating and filling polygons seems needlessly difficult in the program. I might have to … gasp . . . read the instructions or something sad like that.