Intersecting Attacks Between Worlds in Campaign

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, it’s possible in Galactic Conquest for you to launch an invasion of a world and have a fleet come from that world to hit your (now undefended) planet simultaneously.

I request that, if feasible to do in the game engine, such intersecting attacks simply result in the AI’s attack being negated, if possible; it’s really irritating to invade a planet and then turn around and have to take yours back because you were literally completely unable to defend it.

If your fleets fought a battle in midspace or something I wouldn’t mind it, but the fact is your planet is left completely undefended; you aren’t even afforded the opportunity to fight for it.

So fight like a real fleet captain, leave something at the first planet to defend with while you advance with an attack fleet.

Then your attacking fleet ends up at a disadvantage, though.

must have missed that part, how is it at a disadvantage? Because you didn’t put every ship you own in it?

I like to separate captured ships from my main fleet, and use those “disposable” ships to guard vulnerable planets. If I lose them, oh well!

I have to admit, this verges on changing the rules to suit the easiest (non-tactical) method of playing. When I started reading your post, I was expecting you to ask that the two fleets clash in neutral space, with the victor continuing on to their destination. I wasn’t expecting you to ask that the AI attack be completely cancelled :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, I said I’d be okay with that too; it’s just silly that two fleets can just sail by each other in space and only give each other a cheery wave as they do so. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you SEEN how big space is??

Space is big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

“It is known that there are an infinte number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.” - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

actually, our little solar system is HUGE just there…

if we could travel at light speed, it would take us eight minutes to reach the sun. and you know how insanely fast lightspeed is, right?

this makes for a fun fact… if the sun were to dissapear, we would still be able to see it eight minutes later ^^

and this im not entirely shure about, but if you draw a straight line in the space between earth and the sun, you could fit 27 more earths!

same goes between the earth and moon. 27 moons between the moon and earth.

main point being, they could have easely missed eachother. but i agree, it would be a great feature if the ships could meet up half way.

I’m well aware of how big space is, Pondafarr, but keep in mind that fleets in the GSB campaign are all using the same warp points to travel from system to system. :wink:

Maybe the battle between the fleets in deep space could be used to decide who conquers the planet? I.e. the deep space winner scatters the enemy fleet and proceeds to seize the planet, whether they be A.I. or human.

even along the same warp line, there’s probably a .5-2.5 AU wide corridor that’s passable? Ie, half to 2.5 times the distance of earth to the sun, in a cylinder. Works out to a volume between pidistance AU and 5pidistance AU. That is, as has been said, a LOT of space

I dusted off thios saved mesage draft and added to it. I’ve got an acute arm problem that’s forcing me to spend a lot oftime away from the computer; apologies for being slow to respond. My style is much better when I can type slowly, but that literally takes hours now & is also frustratng 2 attempt.

You’ve got a “Retreat” button; don’t be ashamed to click it. Sending one scout on ahead to reconnoiter the next system & tailor your attack accordingly is a wise move. Better to perhaps lose a single frigate in gaining the intel than losing dozens of them before the rest can retreat safely, all due to lacking that same intel.

War has always been a gamble…you’re looking for guarantees? There are none. :slight_smile: That attribute of war is no different here in the game. You’ve got to tread close to the edge of what the game will allow you in order to try creating your own luck. You’ll need to eventually add that to your style & technique, both of which you’re already learning (albeit at some cost).

It’s strongly suggested that when starting out in the campaign, gather your military assets carefully. Don’t make vainglorious advances along multiple vectors in the opening game. You’ve got to build up enough strength to advance in force along the decisive jump-line while still maintaining a strong defense from where you just left. As for determining how much force is enough, in which direction you should advance next, and how much of a defense to leave behind your advancing fleet…that only comes with experience. Once you’ve gathered more from the campaign, you’ll surely be able to judge risk better and decide for yourself when to gamble & to what extent.

…and…

Intriguing conjecture; thank you. I always assumed that Cliff is using the creative concept of “Star Wars”-type hyperspace travel - I should think all players of this game are aware of Lucas’ implementation of the concept. If not, then: ships going hyper lose all ability to interact or even detect ships in Einsteinian space. Indeed, a ship travelling hyper can’t even fight or see another ship also flying hyper. Each is unstertood to be in its own little pocket-sized unioverse until they transit back across the multidimensional regime between universes and occupy Einsteinian space once again. I have no problem with that as a justification of the existing mechanic allowing two enemy fleets to rush past one another in opposite directions between the same points.

Need a longer break; catch u later.

If the enemy left their world undefended, then they made the same mistake you did, no? :slight_smile:

I made a topic at the end of last year about stuff like this:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5835