Leech beams??

I’m a guy that always falls for plasma and lasers…just about anything made of energy and bright colors wins me over.

I did think that something was missing though…what about a laser or energy beam that latches onto enemy ships and does continuous damage? (I guess a good example would be the Medic gun from Team Fortress 2) Just something that’s continuous and weak.

Great idea. I would support that.

… perhaps some would reccomend its only over a limited time, however. I wouldn’t, however.

The Order has a radiation gun that will continue to inflict damage if it hits the hull of an enemy ship.
And Nuclear Missiles that will have a similiar lasting effect if they do hull damage.

Does that count?

good point, I would agree with that assumption.

What about a tractor beam that does integrity damage over time as it sqeezes a ship ?

That sounds great actually.

As far as the radiation, it does do continuous damage, but that’s more viral than constant…I want a beam that as long as you’re in range of the enemy it’s latched on.

Different, give you that, but I would see it as redundant. Still, 8/10 idea.

Okay, I see. Sorta’ like the target painter.
So you’d only have to hit once, and then it continues to apply its effect for the full beam duration, whatever that might be.
I like it. What do you think would happen if another ship got in the way of the beam? Would that break it off? Would the beam change target? Would it just ignore the intervening ship? Would it matter if the intervening ship was a friend or foe?

Well, since ships shoot past each other all the time I don’t think it should be interrupted like that. Although another thing I was thinking of was how the weapon would degrade with damage. Other weapons have a reduced fire rate…but a beam with constant damage is continuous…maybe if someone knew how to cause a damaged module to do less damage instead of fire rate degradation?

You could edit the current radiant gun and also a beam texture to it:

[code][config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
armour_penetration = 36
blasttexture = “turret_blast_red.dds”
category = “WEAPONS”
classname = “SIM_BulletWeaponModule”
color = 8
cost = 124
crew_required = 8
damage = 9
description = “Why blast when you can irradiate? Radiation guns have very weak initial impact but they continue to do damage internally long after impact.”
fire_interval = 600
guiname = “Cruiser Radiation Gun”
height = 12.0
hitpoints = 100
icon = turret
min_range = 90
max_range = 600
name = “cruiser_radiation_gun”
optimum_range = 500
powerconsumed = 10
salvo_size = 4
salvo_interval = 2400
shield_penetration = 48
size = “CRUISER”
sound = order/data/sounds/radiationgun.ogg
soundvolume = 1.0
speed = 9.4
tracking_speed = 1.21
turret_sprite = “turret_bull_v2”
turretsize = 12.0
weight = 135
width = 5.0
slot_type = TURRET
uisortpos = 1080
payload = “RADIATION”
radiation_damage = 6
radiation_decay = 0.91
total_damage = 57
damage_duration = 4200
restricted = “order”

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = crew_required,INTEGER
11 = optimum_range,DECIMAL
12 = min_range,DECIMAL
13 = total_damage,DECIMAL
14 = damage_duration,INTEGER[/code]

But when the word leech comes into mind, the idea that jumps into my mind is a weapon that steals shield points from the enemy ship and transfer it back to your ship.

That wasn’t completely out of mind…but I don’t think you can code for the weapons to steal shields currently…

Also I don’t know how to do my own mods…so I would have to rely on someone else.

There are tons of possibilities for future weapons. I like the idea of a leech beam, also the idea of a tractor beam that shakes ships to bits, a cutting beam like the borg have would be cool too.
One day…

I have the sudden urge to ask for your autograph now that you replied to one of my threads…does that make me a fanboy?

Yes, but the mere fact you’re on these forums means you’re just another one of the GSB fanboy’s already xD

I think the tractor beam idea is the best one in this thread, honestly. Maybe make it do more damage to larger ships due to tidal gravitational effects?