Melodies.txt file help!!

Man, did I overestimate my modding abilities!! :laughing: After reading the other posts, I attempted to modify the melodies to make it easier (the notes start to go too fast for me to keep up with…I am old after all :wink: ).

I wanted all the numbers to be “1”, but when I do that it does not work. When I try to play the melodies game, I always get an error message and the game shuts down.

I am not sure what numbers I need to change to “1’s” within the text document. Example: The current files shows the following:

[guitar melodies]
0 = “1,2,3,2,1”
1 = “1,1,2,1,2”
2 = “4,3,2,1,2”
3 = “4,1,2,3,4”
4 = “2,1,3,1,2,1”

Would I leave the numbers on the far left (0-4) as is and change the rest to “1’s” or change all of it? And what about further down on the document where it shows the following:

[guitar]
0 = “data/sounds/practice/gtr2_A.ogg”
1 = “data/sounds/practice/gtr2_C.ogg”
2 = “data/sounds/practice/gtr2_D.ogg”
3 = “data/sounds/practice/gtr2_E.ogg”
4 = “data/sounds/practice/gtr2_G.ogg”

Do I need to change this or leave it be? AHHH!!

I hope somebody gets the gist of my sentiment and can help me out! I would greatly appreciate it. And if it helps, I am using XP! Thanks oodles in advance!!!

The latter part just plays the notes, displayed as numbers 1 thru 5. Keep it as is.

The other part … keep all far left numbers as is ie: 0 = … 1 = … 23 = …
In between make sure the string sequence starts and ends with the double apostrophes. The numbers 1 thru 5 are separated with the comma.

Try this …

[guitar melodies]
0 = "1,1,1,1,1"
1 = "1,1,1,1,1"
2 = "1,1,1,1,1"
3 = "1,1,1,1,1"
4 = "1,1,1,1,1,1"
5 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
6 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
7 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
8 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
9 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
10 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
11 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
12 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
13 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
14 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
15 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
16 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
17 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
18 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
19 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
20 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
21 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
22 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"
23 = "1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"

Alternatively, write them all down on paper.
Or don’t don’t bother with the mini-game.

Sometimes the sequence goes so fast I can’t see all the numbers !
Yep, I’m old too :confused: :open_mouth:

And neither a musician :astonished: :unamused:

man, maybe I should have the option to skip the game. I thought it was cool, but quite a few people dislike it…

Maybe the option to switch off the game and when you choose to practice the program gives you a random boost to your ability like in boxing games when you choose auto-train. I personally think the idea is good just not the memory part. An alternative game could be to flash one note on screen and the player press/or click the note immediately after they see it. That way you have the choice between a reflex or memory game and still have the option to “auto-train”.

Cliffski,

Please don’t take it wrong! I do like the melody game, I just stink at hand-eye coordination!! :laughing: I do write the numbers down on a piece of paper to play them back, but as it progresses, I just can’t keep up! :confused:

I have always been a big fan of the mini-games within the main game, I’m just not as young as I used to be!! :wink:

Another alternative that business players may appreciate to the music game is to buy a coach. Just like the rehearsal screen, the coach screen would have various coaches that increase in cost, from the guy-down-the-pub to the top international music coach. It could work exactly the same as rehearsal venues, so it wouldn’t be too difficult to implement and that would avoid playing the music game altogether. What do players think?

hmmmm interesting ideas.

I would suggest this change to the practice session
Instead of a complete fail for missing a note ,change it to % for each correct
Allow the user to try to play the entire melody back
So If the melody was 1,2,3,4,5,6
and the user inputs 1,3,3,4,5,5
They would get 4/6ths of the total practice benefit

I’ve changed all the melodies to 1,1,1,1,1 but it seems like it only works half of the time now. The band is pretty popular now, but when they were still relatively new, it worked. How do I change it so it’s always 1,1,1,1,1?

as I recall the piano melodies are generated in game and cannot be changed. is it the piano ones that do it?

I think it was piano, organ, and bass.

I use a calculator to type out the melodies as they’re playing. I find it quicker than writing them down on paper, and I can keep up with the game up to at least 150 bpm. I do like the idea of the option of a reflex game or a memory game…

I like the idea of getting skill % per correct note as opposed to correct passage. I’m not a huge fan of the practice game, a simon says memory test doesn’t fit in with the rest of the stats & simulation. I also like the idea of a music coach who could be similar to the roadie/manager with a per-day cost. Perhaps the cheap teacher stops skill degradation while the expensive one improves it daily. It would render the mini-game useless beyond a point however which is probably the wrong way to progress.

Haven’t thought too much about it, but perhaps the practice session could be spread out to 3 choices - Chops/Theory/Covers - with chops being the current mini-game in place, theory being an “auto-train” with less % gain that decreases motivation (theory is boring stuff) & covers being a smaller gain “auto-train” with a chance of learning new songwriting techniques or songs not written by your band. This way, the most effective way to earn skill % is practicing chops - with Theory being a good way to spend motivation that can rack up - and covers being a good choice when your starting out or late game when you don’t have time between gigs to be inspired & writing material (famous bands play cover tunes all the time).

Nah, realmen/women bands only play their own tunes if they were around in the eighties :stuck_out_tongue:

Joking aside, I find the mini game a bit tiresome - along with the resentment factor; so in genre but so not realistic (if you’re not Megadeth but, say, Dream Theater that is :D).

Also, the mini-game would have been not that irritating (not that it is irritating in itself but it is hard mate, and I am a musician :)) if there were a variety of them; say, for gigs, rehearsals. Got some ideas (like everybody else) such as options for “relax and do nothing” other than, well, relaxing and doing nothing (that 900 odd a day beachfront studio should be more replenishing than a couple of beers :D) but I guess I’m getting a bit off topic here… Sorry 'bout that :slight_smile:

EDIT: Ooooh! just saw the demo, should have known a game would be supported more if bought from the developer directly - gotta go pay that credit card bills :slight_smile:

Cheerio!