[Outdated][Bug 1.07] "Assertion failure: GUI_Sounds.cpp 160/182" - Can't Launch/Crash due to no/too many Sound Devices

I just bought this game, redeemed it on Humble Bundle and downloaded it but I can’t get the game to actually launch. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly know how I can fix it? Thanks

EDIT: Found the fix to my problem being if I plug in headphones or speakers the game will launch, otherwise it won’t…

Hey Wyatt,

did the installing routine work properly?
What kind of system do you use?
Do you receive any error message when launching the game?

Kind regards

Everything seemed to install good (I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling) and I did not get any error message when launching the game, all it does when I try to launch the game is show the loading icon on my mouse cursor for about 5 seconds and that’s it. I’m using a PC with Windows 10.

So I looked in the error log and it showed something along with lines of failure: GUI Sound… So I plugged in headphones and the game will launch and seems to work fine now, if I don’t have headphones or speakers plugged in the game will not launch… Seems to be a pretty odd issue to me.

Thanks for finding this workaround, I have the exact same issue. The game only runs while I have headphones plugged in (unplugging them after starting also causes it to crash).

12/2/2017 - 8::37 - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\GUI_Sounds.cpp,linenum:160

Hey,

so the sound chip in your pc is reporting as available as soon as a speaker or even a headphone are plugged in.
This remembers me to a time years ago when you have to read the requirements of a game and ensure it definitively meets your hardware.

Have had such a trouble with a bad driver which caused the sound device beeing switched on and off due to bad connectivity detection. The workaround at that time was to disable the detection so the driver was running as always on.

Kind regards

I’d consider this a pretty serious bug, as a sound card shouldn’t really be required to run the game. Especially since almost every (modern-ish) sound card disables itself when no output device is connected

How to reproduce in windows 7:

Disable all active sound devices, and the game crashes on exit and startup.

The game crashes before it even launches at all. Run the .exe and it closes within 10 seconds and nothing ever appears on screen.
This is also the first time I have tried to run the game.

The only error messages I am getting. These repeat every time the game is launched.

18/2/2017 - 15::35 - First run crash detected, switching to windowed mode automagically 18/2/2017 - 15::35 - Assertion failure:filename:..\src\GUI_Sounds.cpp,linenum:182

Hi, you don’t happen to have ‘two’ sound cards on your PC do you?

No, but I have two graphics cards.

I figured out the problem!

I had my speaker unplugged so there were no sound devices available. May want to change it so sound is not required.

Aha ok, cool.

I just got the game and this is the error i keep getting
Assertion failure:filename:…\src\GUI_Sounds.cpp,linenum:182

That bug is sound device related… is it possible that you don’t have any headphones/speakers attached to your computer? Multiple or not even a soundcard at all?

It didn’t like that i had 3 sound card(One internal Two external)

Thanks for the help

Good that it helped…

… but at some point Cliff will probably have to do something about it in the code.

When I try to start the game, I won’t start. In the eventviewer I get the follow error

Faulting application name: ProductionLine.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58a34321
Faulting module name: ProductionLine.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58a34321
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0006b1d8
Faulting process id: 0x1778
Faulting application start time: 0x01d289c792a30dfa
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Production Line\ProductionLine.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Production Line\ProductionLine.exe
Report Id: bfb175f3-18df-4863-8ffb-36999e38698e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: ProductionLine.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58a34321
Faulting module name: ProductionLine.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58a34321
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0006b1d8
Faulting process id: 0x1c38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d289c66d7390cb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Production Line\ProductionLine.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Production Line\ProductionLine.exe
Report Id: 3bf51517-692e-4228-be9a-10d1f2636cde
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hey wesleyk,

please take a look at the Bug Report Guideline and attach the recommended log files.
http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18091

A typical error on start is that the game will require an active sound device (some sound chips only with headphone or speakers connected) and will crash immediately when no device is found.

Thanks in advance!

thank you that was the solution

Good… I’ll merge it to the sound related crash/can’t start thread then.

… Threads merged together …