Problem? Ask a modder

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes and its painful.
Currently as the game stands - you can either: a module avaliable for everyone or lock it down to a single race.
If you wish to restrict the vanilla modules to the vanilla races then you need to create a set of modules for each and every race and lock each set to a seperate race.

For example every race has access to the Cruiser Laser. Therefore you need to create 9 copies of the cruiser laser and lock each copy to a different race. (Then you need to consider which mods need access to the cruiser laser.)

Now its totally possible for you to do this on your own copy - but when you place the idea into general public, it gets a bit more complicated.

If you search around the forums you will see a thread or two about various ideas to restricting the vanilla modules

this mod sounds so awesome but i donā€™t know if its not working on latest patch or its that im doing something wrong viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6230

my fighters turn up whit an white box when they enter the fight have no ide how to fix this and looked over 101 modding cant find an solution

Do they warp in as a white box
or
Do they warp in correctly and then become a white box ?
Link to an old thread with similar problem / solution <-might be worth a read

they come in whit right skin then they turn white

will read in mean time

At a guess i would say it has something to do with your naming conventions & case senstivity.

For example (from a randomly selected mod):
In the hull file:
sprite = Recon Drone.dds
damagetexture = Recon Drone_damaged.dds
hulktexture = Light_drone_hulks.dds

In the hull folder:
Recon Drone.dds
Recon Drone_damaged.dds
Recon Drone_sprite.dds <- Remember this is the damage image and the normal image side by side

As you can see the names are exactly the same
:Note: with the _damaged & _sprite make sure they are lowwer case and have the underbar

Got it to work now finally just messed around and realized i forgot to make 2 images of same ship in one dds. thanks for all help Darkstar as always

Weā€™d all be like drunk children staggering in the dark cellar of modding if not for the Darkstarā€™s guiding light of scripting proficiency. I still canā€™t get over how well you know the insides of this game xD Iā€™ve barely scratched the surface and my brain almost melted :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Aww Shucks - Thankyou :slight_smile:

But i am only one of the many member of the Friendly Community Mod Squad. There are many others (including yourself) that have helped other GSB modders along the way

imageMy knowledge of the insides of the game is proportional to the mispent hours playing / modding GSB :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well its all about listen to guides and when u get stuck mess around and it get fixed most of the time but when u get really angry ask darkstar he is the shining light when u feel trapped in darkness xD

This is how i feel modding gsb sometimes

1 Like

game crashes every time open a fighter up in the editor
darkstar please help me

heres the eror

Of course I will help :slight_smile:

Looks like a turret mapping problem with Union. Now to work out why its happening

First point of Interest: Unity (DarkStar) and Union (Cen2050) are 2 seperate and self contained mods :slight_smile:

Second Point of Interest: Union (from memory) does not reference a turret_auto_v6 in any weapon hence why there is no turret mapping for turret_auto_v6 in the Union race file

Third Point of Interest: However Unity does have reference to a turret_auto_v6 for a frigate weapon . .

Conclusion: . . . . I am confused

If i could ask for some more info . .

• Which fighter(s) are you opening in the GSB Editor (are they Union or Unity)
  • Which mods do you have active
  • Have you made any after market changes to any of the mods (ie moving weapons between the two mods)

unity fighters, happens with all of them (if you dint want than called union why did you name the race Union Resistance coalition)

mods- (aprox.) (bold ones have hulls i made with them)
legiois
pirates
sacvangers
deserters
p.ind.
union
uni-t
star wars reloaded (GSTW)
gundam
fighter Gatling gun
frigate power 4
frigate crew 3

Squadrons of Frigates v1.59 (after crashes)
all DLC
campaign map atellian exspance

i have messed with the gundam and p.ind. mods and also changed some figures in the galactic conquest
(more specifically i moved some gundam armor into some frigate saves of mine (p.ind) to make those ships stronger(along with some vanilla cruiser stuff too))
but noting like say taking a gun from the star wars one and making it be owned by p.ind.

Executive Summary:
I think there is no problem with the Unity or Union Mod installed on your computer, the problem is with the Fighter Gattling Gun Mod you added.

Solution:

• Find the fighter_gatling.txt module you created based on collimatrix code
  • Go to the line turret_sprite = ā€œturret_auto_v6ā€
  • Change it to turret_sprite = ā€œturret_auto_v5ā€

It will now work.

==================================================================================================================
Now if the above solution did not work, please read through my thought process and point out where i missed my guess.

::Thought Process::
If you select one of the UniT fighters

The game should not crash because the race knows how to map a turret_auto_v6.
However, if you select one of the Union fighters.

The game will crash - Giving us this message.

Now the break down of this the error message is as follows:

Turret mapping not found - A weapon module is calling for a turret_sprite that does not exist.
[turret_auto_v6] - This is the turret sprite the module is calling for
[union] - This is the race that was trying to map the turret sprite the module was calling for.
ā€¦\src\SIM_race.cpp 244 - Not a clue . . .

So from this error message we can determine that when you were playing the Union Mod (made by Cen2050) and selected one of the fighters, GSB crashed because it could not find turret_auto_v6.

Now this would stand to reason because i know that the Union race file does not have any turret mapping for any v6 turrets.
However: this does not necessarily mean that the Union Mod is broken.

Since the UniT or the Union mods do not have any fighter modules that call on a turret_auto_v6, the problem module had to be some other mod which has an fighter module that used turret_auto_v6 AND was avaliable to every race.

Hence the questions about what othe mods you have, changes you have made etc.

Looking through your list of mods you use, i saw the Fighter Gatling Gun mod. I rememberd that collimatrix had made a Fighter Gatling Module which uses turret_auto_v6 as a turret sprite. Since the code had no race restrictions it would crash GSB on any race that cant map that particular turret.

(Side Note: I also noted from the mod list there may be a problem with the Frigate Squad. Once we have resolved the fighter problem could you let me know what is happening with the Frig Squad Mod)

So the solution to all of this would be to edit the Fighter Gatling Module and change the turret mapping from turret_auto_v6 to turret_auto_v5. Or let Cen2050 know to edit the Union race and add in some v6 turret maps.

Simple when you think about it :slight_smile:

==================================================================================================================
Credit, where credit is due.

Because I didnā€™t name or make the Union Resistance Coalition :slight_smile:

This is the mod i made:

I think just reading those explanations makes u smarter :stuck_out_tongue:

i feel stupid now

and yes that fixed it, now if some could fix how all the weapons are placed half hazardly on the resolute flagship mk5

I wouldnā€™t worry about it - believe it or not, your not the first person to think that I made the Union Mod. Its mainly been due to people downloading the Union mod from the Unity Thread, hence they draw that conclusion that i made it. As much as i would like to claim credit for it, i canā€™t.

That is an excelent suggestion - if you head over here we can help you on that as well :slight_smile:
(I would ask that you please ignore my stupid suggestion of using a text editor for filling in the gaps when loading out the resolute and focus on the suggestion of changing the hex size instead)

well actually i meant the well, ili let pictures talk for me

all the turents are misplaced (or most of them) and it looks bad

-edit seeing that i didnā€™t clearly answer your question about the frigate fighters, no theirs no problem with that

-edit 2 i relay need to make my mined up for a name on this post

Oh, now i understand. Sorry, my mistake.

Hmm, that one will take some investigating using the hull editor and looking at the placement of the modules.
(and maybe some graphical editing to place some extra turret points)

The trouble with adjusting the turret positions is four fold

1. Union turrets are so much BIGGER than others that relocating the mounting points would shove them together in horrible clustersā€¦which IMO looks far worse

2. in the hull editor (and design screen) such re-positioning would either a) make the slots so close together it would be VERY difficult to properly place the turrets where you want them or B) clog the screen up with lots of unnecessary white lines which I found visually confusing and really not appealing

3. to solve problems 1 and 2 would require reducing the number of turrets the ship hasā€¦which is not an option.

4. to avoid 3 would require manually re positioning the holes in the FILEā€¦which requires time and energy that I currently cannot afford.

For me, the turret placement was the lesser of all evilsā€¦I DO have plans to change the resolute sprite (and story to go along with it) but I cannot say when that will be completedā€¦and certainly I will at least attempt to address that placement issue to the best of my ability.

Alsoā€¦glad Darkstar could help you with your problemā€¦and I will GLADLY attempt to make a turret_auto_v6 for Unionā€™s turret mapping.