The Netherlands (MOD)

G’day.
I have recently made a mod for Democracy 3 on the Steam Workshop. Go check it out! Leave me suggestions for what policies and events I should add next.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … earchtext= <<

I have also linked an attachment of the mod in case you don’t have the Steam version.
The Netherlands.zip (749 KB)
Thanks for playing!

Hi, nice mod :smiley: I packaged it up into a windows installer and mirrored the zip file on the modding list here:

positech.co.uk/democracy3/mods.html

I was wondering if you were thinking of adding a flood defenses policy and working that in to prevent your flood event taking place? :smiley:

Hello, I would like to say thanks for making a NL mod. :smiley: I was hoping someone would do it! You ask for suggestions regarding policies, well being in Dutch politics myself I have some.

Most importantly the housing market should be adequately represented. The Dutch housing market is marked by heavy state interference, both on the rental as on the private side. Both are subsidized. There is comprehensive state housing, with 34% of the Dutch living in state housing (source: Eurostat). On the private side there is a very comprehensive mortgage relief program accounting for 4,4% of state expenditure (11 bln) (source: Ministerie van Financiën). Additionally private rents are controlled. The problematic housing market is often called the most prominent problem of the Dutch economy. Here is a nice article emphasizing on the private purchasing side http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/29/business/netherlands-nation-under-water/.

Second the pensions are a typical Dutch feature. Contrary to popular belief state pensions are fairly low. The private pensions on the other hand are huge, with 175% of GDP being the highest in the world (source: Eurostat). Here is a good source: http://www.pensioenfederatie.nl/Document/Publicaties/English%20publications/Nederlandse_pensioensysteem_Engelstalige_versie.pdf. I am not sure how you could simulate the unique Dutch pension system in D3 though.

Third I would like to address the labor market. In contrast to most countries social-economic policies like wages and unemployment benefits are a compromise between three parties: the state, the employers and the unions. Usually a policy of low wages is pursued to ensure high productivity, low unemployment and lower state expenditure through benefits. Together with good education and infrastructure does this place the Netherlands always in the top 10 or top 5 of the World Competitiveness Index.

Fourth I wonder if a statistic can be implemented in D3 representing the fact that cycling is the most important mode of transportation after the car. It contributes greatly to good health, good environment and oil independence. Good source: fietsberaad.nl/library/repos … ds2009.pdf

Finally I would like to state some facts that can easily be translated into policies:

Well this post has become much longer than I intended, apologies for that! If I find the time I might try and make a NL mod myself some time.

Thanks again and good luck.

For the drug problems you could implement a new policy. Portugal has decriminalized all drugs and, because I want to be as accurate as possible, I am creating a policy named “Drug Rehabilitation Program”. This reduces drug addiction a lot, and also reduces drug consumption, but not as much. Liberals and parents happiness goes up (because drug addiction upsets parents and this fights it).