Thoughts on future new races

Sounds maybe a bit like the Reavers from Firefly too. Which could be an interesting take - and poorly designed ships that have no problem blowing themselves to hell in combat seems to be a good fit for GSB. It’s what happens to most of my ships anyway. :slight_smile:

yeah thats the thing, reavers from firefly

Pirates would work to!

We’ve got rebels aliens and empires.
So whats next?
pirates and robots. (we will skip space-ninjas as they reach unhealthy levels of awesome)
Junk ships patched together from space-scrap would look good for pirates.
but of course the AI that went crazy and wants to take over the universe is always a favorite. If your an AI your going to have sleek automated ships.

Pirates require the ability to board or take prizes.

It would also tend to be smaller scale battles.

Munchkins.

Actually, I think this would be an interesting race (requiring an obscene amount of balancing probably, but anyhoo). A race that are physically teensy (put it in the description) so all their hulls are on the small side for that class of ship. (See the Rebel Loki frigate or the Federation Panther cruiser). Then all their modules could be lighter, cheaper, and less effective (missiles the size of a paper towel roll?).

Like I say, obscene amount of balancing, and I have no idea if they would have one thing they’re better at than anyone else - except for fielding more capital ships on account of everything’s cheaper.

Better skill. Frickin Ewoks!

nah …

Uplifted Tribbles FTW!!

The problem with using Tribbles is that designing a control stick for someone with no opposable thumb is difficult.

Now imagine designing one for someone with no limbs. Or sense organs. Or biological abilities beyond eating and reproducing.

I suppose you could make a Tribble Torpedo that breaches enemy ships and promptly fills them with cooing wads of fur. :wink:

THE CUDDLE OF DEATH!

When the smallest saucer breaks up little cow corpses drift out. :slight_smile:

and when bigger saucers explode?

P.S: This race should have AMAZING tractor beams! :slight_smile:

I still go with a space fairing religious group, ex: maybe a religious federation formed of giant cathedral ships. Monstrous ships that are whole cities/monasteries combined into one ship. They have lackluster speed but greater hull strength and when they bring their weapons to bear they are a force to be reckoned with.

Call them the Commune, their primary function is to attempt to enlighten the universe, through any means necessary. After many wars for their religious freedom they float through the stars attempting to stop anyone who dares to speak against them and try to enlighten those they come across on the way.

Fighters:
Angel
Spirit
Scribe

Frigates:
Dominion
Orphanim
Throne

Cruisers:
Seraphim
Archangel
Cherubim

we could actually do that. make this race’s escape pod texture look like a cow. :smiley:

Or Elvis. I suppose the plural is “Elvi.”

Actually I believe the plural is “impersonators.” :wink:

Sounds a bit like the Ori/Priors from Stargate: SG-1. Could be pretty interesting - and if properly done, the ship designs would be gorgeous. Maybe give them the ability (somehow) of making enemy ships flee from combat for a short while (losing their conviction)?

I haven’t seen Stargate (incoming flame), I was moreso thinking giant cathredrals in space.

Every space game needs more floating cathedrals! FLEE BEFORE SPODE’S SENTENCE! (Spode is the name of God in Spore)

Oh God not you planet to planet religious freaks, I thought I changed your atmosphere to the hottest possible and flooded your planet with lava already T.T