Would anyone be interested in doing an african country mod?

That information is great since I had to re-install my OS and the backup for Russia 3.0 and Nigeria 1.0 were corrupted. Nigeria is going to be up sometime before the 29th. It really sucks that I have to do all of those names over again lol.

This is a really nice thread, I’ll definitely play this!

Looking forward to see the Nigeria mod. I study development management (poverty and developing countries), and think some sub-saharan mods could be valuable tool for students like me. Ghana, Tanzania, Mauritius, and Angola would be nice too :smiley:

Some suggestions: Corruption, uncompetitive economy, tribal conflicts, high dependency on aid, many farmers, low health, foreign investors being both a blessing and a curse, land grabs, floods/drought, micro-finance initiatives, HIV/AIDS, gay rights, subsidies to NGOs…

There’s a gay rights mod already. I presume it can be used for any country.

this is already active ?

I don’t live in Africa but I do have experience with modding and a lot of people enjoy my mods and according to the StrawPoll http://strawpoll.me/2697362/r the Democracy 3 community would like South Africa to be modded.

hey guys, i live in south africa, for the most part i think our country works a lot like european countries with the following MAJOR problems…

• corruption
    it’s seeped into every level of government, our president spent R270m (that’s equivalant to my annual salary as a programmer with 8 years experience for 900 years) upgrading his personal house and is currently getting away with it, not to mention dodging rape charges, dodging being involved in illegal arms deals (everyone knows the evidence is there but nobody can touch him). very municipality spends money wastefully on fancy cars while their people die of poverty without proper infrastructure.

• electricity shortage
    Unfortunately we needed to start building new power stations 12 years before we actually did, and once we started building them constant mismanagment and strikes have made progress slow. we experience on average 2 hours of power cuts a day (called load shedding) and everyone who can afford it is buying generators. This is costing the country billions as sometimes the 2 hours of power outage are a shopping malls busiest 2 hours.

• unemployment
    the realistic unemployment rate is above 40% (government doctors figures so reports dont always reflect that), this also causes chronic poverty which drives up crime and many other issues.

• racial inequality and xenophobia
    things havent gotten much better since apartheid ended, the government enforced BEE (black economic empowerment) policies but those who benefited were almost exclusively friends and family of people in power and the rest of the population is just as impoverished as before (there may be a slight improvement but not nearly enough). also because of the unemployment and poverty there’s huge amounts of hatred among the ethnic south africans against other ethnicities from africa / india / pakistan as they’re seen as “stealing” the jobs from those who’s ancestors lived in south africa.

• education
    some studies put us at the bottom of the world in science and maths, and we’re pretty close to the bottom in general anyway, the matric pass rate is 30% so anyone “should” be able to pass but most don’t because there are not enough teachers, the ones we do have are mostly incompetent, and schools in non wealthy areas are grossly ill equiped.

on the plus side we have great resilience, problem solving skills and tourist attractions (come soon before they destroy all the statues of the colonists).

:slight_smile:

if anyone is working on adding south africa and needs to bounce things off me let me know.

test

test