ACCESS DENIED on non-privileged account

Hello all,

today I installed and started Gratuitous Space Battles and on first start the game exited with an error and Windows just said the application is no longer working. As I’m a bit routined in such things I started Process Monitor and found that my non-privileged account just needs write access on two files stored in the installation directory. After I gave my account write access, everything seems to work fine, at least I finished the tutorial, saved some ship designs etc. I would really appreciate if you could change the game that write access to those files is not needed or if they need to be modified by each user it would be best to store them in the user profile, as you already do with other files.

The problematic files are the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles\data\fonts\cwfont20.dds.dat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles\data\fonts\zekton16.dds.dat

I suspect that I have the same problem as the symptoms are the same. How do I give my account write access and what does this mean? Google has been surprisingly unhelpful with this.

If memory serves, i helped Pickwick solve this one by using this method (or something similar) to resolve the issue. Basically the concept was to go to the install locations and grant your account full read/write privileges.

As a first attempt I would suggest granting your account full read write access to the following files as they were the ones causing Pickwick the issue:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles\data\fonts\cwfont20.dds.dat
C:\Program Files (x86)\Gratuitous Space Battles\data\fonts\zekton16.dds.dat