Campaign stuck by crash

Just bought the game this weekend, downloaded via Steam, having great fun. However, it’s been crashing quite a bit. For the most part, it’s tolerable, but I just started my first campaign, and it seems to have produced a scenario that I cannot get past: a battle that ends with one surviving enemy ship in my home system. I see the message about how it will become part of my fleet, but as soon as I click OK, the game crashes to desktop.

I’m on OS X 10.6.8, game should be patched to most current (Steam) version.

The system is my home system so I am pretty much stuck having to invade it. But, having fought the battle over four times now, other than just losing outright, I can’t manage to get it to a conclusion where all enemy ships are destroyed. So it seems like the campaign can never progress. Is there any workaround for this? I’m leery of starting another campaign, it seems like the same thing could happen again pretty easily.

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I think I may be experiencing the same troubles as @ishmog. I also have a Steam version; mine has all of the DLC. I am experiencing frequent crashes trying to play the campaign, usually related to some sort of enemy fleet action. Here is the tail of my error file:

26/2/2013 - 4::22 - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\SIM_CampaignDebugLog.cpp,linenum:41,build:Full 1.62
26/2/2013 - 4::22 - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\SIM_CampaignDebugLog.cpp,linenum:41,build:Full 1.62
26/2/2013 - 16::14 - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\SIM_CampaignShipsLog.cpp,linenum:52,build:Full 1.62
26/2/2013 - 19::48 - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\SIM_CampaignShipsLog.cpp,linenum:52,build:Full 1.62

I think those represent the last two times I tried to play campaigns, both of which crashed sometime between turns. Further attempts to play either campaign simply cause the game to hang on the main menu launch dialog.

This makes me incredibly sad since the campaign looks like it would be the best way to enjoy GSB.

Any help would be appreciated!

Well, I don’t have anything helpful to offer, but I thought I would mention that somewhere around replay number 7 of the stuck battle, it finally got past the point where it was crashing. No idea why; I didn’t make any noticeable changes to anything, I am just guessing that for whatever reason, the semi-random outcome of the fight ended up in a situation that didn’t blow up the game.

Good luck!