Crashing

I really enjoy this game and have bought all of the expansions for it. However i am having a serious problem with the feature that i use 99% of the time… the campaign feature. I can play for so long then the game eventually crashes and corrupts my saved game. Any attempts to load after the crash result in the game freezing and several error windows popping up behind it. It has done this on 3 occasions and thus far i have been unable to get more than 1/4 of the way through the campaign. It’s rather annoying to say the least. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

The error log always reports something along these lines
12/2/2011 - 23::5 - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\SIM_CampaignShipsLog.cpp,linenum:52,build:Full 1.55
12/2/2011 - 23::5 - Module Type not found ->frigate p:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
12/2/2011 - 23::6 - Module Type not found ->frigate p:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
12/2/2011 - 23::6 - Module Type not found ->frigate p:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
12/2/2011 - 23::7 - Module Type not found ->frigate p:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272

I have tried thus far:
Re-installing the game
Newest drivers for video card
Deleting the temporary files and ensuring the demo cleanly uninstalled
No active firewall

My system
Intel Quad core Q6600
Nvidia gtx 460
4 gb of dual channel 800mhz ram
sata hdd
soundblaster x-fi soundcard

When you reinstalled the game did you also nuke the \my documents\my games\gratuitous space battles folder? It sounds like a complaint about a module which is not actually in the game, which suggests possibly a leftover from some modded content?

I have completely un-installed and manually removed all folders related to the game including the one you named above. The game is stock and has never been modded, only installed and played out of the box.

Oddly i have played some of the single player missions and have yet to have any problems with them crashing. It seems that only the campaign has the issue.

I shall investigate. Is this version 1.55? (top right of the main menu screen).

It is version 1.55
Thanks for looking into this for me.

i have an idea of what is going on and have noticed and tested it to some extent. It seems that the game does not like having 5 or more fleets at the same planet and creates the crash. So you support fellows try testing that out :slight_smile:

Just before it crashes, do the maintenance and credits / income numbers at the top of the screen go all crazy? I’m trying to work out if thats related.
It really shouldn’t matter if there are 100 fleets at a syetm, but I shall experiment. You mean player-owned fleets I assume? Large ones?

I normally have all my ships merged into one large fleet for attacks.

I can’t say for certain if the income and credits go all crazy, i’ve never really noticed and the crashes seem to happen so fast and so randomly. It seems to crash more often than not when moving a fleet to an enemy planet and clicking the attack button.

Im getting the same problem.

From errors:
3/3/2011 - 20::25 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
3/3/2011 - 20::29 - Untranslated HRESULT
3/3/2011 - 20::29 - D3DXCreateEffectFromFile failed
3/3/2011 - 20::34 - Module Type not found ->frigate_shieldsupportbeam_I:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272
3/3/2011 - 20::35 - Module Type not found ->frigate_shieldsupportbeam_I:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 272

Happens when loading for an attack, generally if im getting attacked, if I reload the campaign after it crashes, the next attack on the same system doesn’t crash it.
At the moment its crashing fairly consistently when attacking the same system. :frowning:

It also crashes whenever I retreat (no errors), so I just don’t retreat any more (hehe).

That looks suspiciously like you skipped about a dozen patches when updating. Make sure you try a fresh reinstall by downloading the game again from scratch, that should fix it.