Foreign Languages in Public School

Aren’t these… the exact same thing? They have different writeups, different political costs, different budgets and differing effects, but they’re clearly both foreign languages in public schools. And they can be run concurrently. :'D Perhaps consolidate these two?

I think one is for adults? Not that that’s important enough to warrant having two policies

You might be right! Perhaps that distinction ought to be made a bit clearer? A change in the title that implies more of a business focus? Right now the titles are “compulsory foreign language lessons” and “compulsory language lessons”, which made me think it was just an oversight. Perhaps subsidized night school? Adult re-education is already taken… I dunno, it does seem a bit too redundant as is.

also, imagine if the UK government was like

OKAY EVERYBODY MUST NOW LEARN CHINESE
REPORT TO YOUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT LEARNING STATION TO LEARN CHINESE
IF YOU FAIL THE CHINESE EXAM WE DEPORT YOU ALONG WITH THE CHINESE BACK TO CHINESELAND

seems a tad bit authoritarian mate, 24 political capital is a bit cheap for that all things considered

Authoritarian can be both effective and good. Everybody knows that. One of the ugly secrets of this game is it won’t explore the full extent of political strategy if the goal is re-election. Games like this like all things has a time and place where all things can be explored to its fullest.

1 Like

I mean, I’m all for an authoritarian romp through America as much as the next guy, my biggest thing is that having it be ‘compulsory’ means it should cost 4 to 8 more political capital than it does. Trying to get a population as a whole to do anything it doesn’t already do and then enforcing that is a goddamn nightmare.