GSB 1 on Windows 10 - system cannot find the specified file

I realize this game is very old at this point, but I started playing it again after a bout of nostalgia. I can get the game to work just fine on my Linux desktop and an older Win10 laptop, but for some reason my newest Windows 10 laptop will not launch the game, giving me the error:

“The system cannot find the file specified.”

No debug file is created, in fact there is no GSB folder in My Games at all. This is true whether I install the game using Steam or using the most recent standalone installer from HumbleBundle.

I’m wondering if this behavior is because Windows 10 no longer has a My Games folder like it used to, it uses the Xbox console app instead, and that app doesn’t seem to recognize or make a space for GSB. Unfortunately without a debug file, I don’t know what file it’s trying to open that it can’t. I don’t see any ini files or any other configuration in the game folders that would allow me to define launch settings, so I assume those settings are contained entirely in the .exe.

I’ve tried running the game in compatibility mode with Win7, and ensured it’s not being blocked by Windows Security or insufficient permissions or anything like that. I could of course just play it on my Linux computer or my old laptop, but I really wanted to get it working on my newer, lighter laptop so I can relax on my couch and blow stuff up while I watch movies, haha.

I know it’s a longshot, but if anyone has any suggestions, I’d really appreciate it!

Hey there! I had a similar problem with an old game not launching on my new Windows 10 laptop. It was frustrating, but I found a solution that might help you too. I ended up reinstalling Windows 10 using a key I got from a Windows 10 sale Reddit. After the reinstall, the game worked perfectly fine. It might seem like a hassle, but it solved the issue for me and allowed me to play the game on my new laptop while watching movies. Give it a try and see if it works for you too!