How do supply stockpiles work?

I don’t seem to be able to force anything to be stored in the stockpile. I have a conveyor passing through the area.

I don’t even use them. lol they need a higher priority than the importers. They usually always take form an importer first rather than the stockpile. Same with manufacturing parts, slots still request from an importer first than the stockpile next to it. Its a hit or miss though too sometimes it will take from a stockpile and sometimes not.

It took me a little while to figure this out as well. It seems like my stockpiles don’t fill up until I put an overhead conveyor over all four tiles it occupies. Also, make sure you click on the stockpile and add items to it. If you don’t specify what it should stockpile, it won’t actually fill up. There isn’t any logic to automatically fill it up, so if you place it expecting it to be used to store excess resources like in some other types of games, it will not.

Summary:

1. Place stockpile
  2. Draw resource conveyor on all four tiles
  3. Click on the stock pile and in the popup window add resources via the button in that popup window

If your importer is not busy and is closer “as the resource flies” then it will probably import the item. I think I read somewhere that the priority of parts on-hand is an issue and should be fixed sometime in the near future.

You must place the resouce conveyor on top of the tile where the forklifts are:

Thanks, will try that next time.