New 'FedElite' Shiny Ship Variant Installer (experiment)

where can I get the Panther variant, I can’t find the download link :frowning:

Just re-download the original installer, it’s included.

Cliff, can I suggest that you include these in the next patch, if at all possible?

Indeed. That or the colour wheel.
Anyway, I cannot seem to get it to work. i installed it in the default directory, and moved it to the same spot in my games folder. Any help?

Is there a recommended procedure for installing these variants to the MacOS version?

The short answer is probably, “Wait for Cliff to get around to making a mac version” or something equally depressing.

I haven’t purchased the mac version, instead I use boot camp and run the game under windows. So I am unsure about this procedure, but it’s a best guess.

1. Use a Windows machine or emulator to run the installer, hopefully it won’t complain when you point it at an empty directory to do the install. I’m not sure how much verification it does, but you might at least have to create a “data” directory for it to throw stuff into.

2. Presuming you successfully unpacked the files, you should have some hull files and some textures. Find the Gratuitous Space Battles.app file in your Applications folder or wherever you installed it. Right click on it and select “Show Package Contents”.

3. You should be able to navigate around in there and find the data/hulls directory where the hull files belong, but it’s possible you will need to convert them to have unix line endings instead of ms-dos line endings.

4. You should also be able to find the folder to put the textures into, but from what I’ve heard Red Marble converted the .dds files used in the windows version into .png files for the mac version; you’ll need to use the Gimp or Photoshop or something of that ilk to convert the textures first.

Cliff could make step number 1 a lot easier by providing the files in a zip file or something, and step 2 isn’t difficult, and the line-endings thing might be a non-issue, so it could end up just being a matter of converting the images. But don’t quote me on that.

yes yes yes that was one of my dream suggestions … thank you so very much… and don’t hesitate to add more :wink:

strask, thank you, that is a great response practically an outline of what I might try to do to familiarize myself with the file locations &c (while waiting hopefully for an official conversion from cliffski or RedMarble).

Is there ever going to be a shiny Buffalo Cruiser?

Here are the steps I went through to make the FedElite sprites available on the Mac version:

1. downloaded the installer to a Windows machine and opened it there (no difficult issues with the install)
  2. made PNGs of the DDS sprites using Graphic Converter on the Mac (shareware from Lemkesoft) (could’ve done this in Windows using GIMP and the DDS plugin)
  3. placed the sprites and the hull files in their appropriate folders in the GSB.app package

Thank you for the sprites, Cliff. Thank you for the direction, strask.
I’ve been poking around and modding since.

Finally downloads them
I thought it was funny how I had to unlock the new Panther hull…I only had a measly 550,000 lying around… Cries I want more unlockables!!!

Also, why are the files installed in the swarm folder…