Radiation Weapons

How does that work, anyway?
My current understanding is this means such a weapon would do 4.2 damage per interval, or approx 2100 damage per second. Is that correct?

I’m just trying to understand the variables and what they do.

total damage is cosmetic its decay duration and start damage that change stuff

So what is decay rate?
Is that the amount of damage inflicted every interval?

You probably want Microsoft excel to calculate the exactly total damage

Damage is based on (taken from Rad Gun)
radiation_damage = 6
radiation_decay = 0.91
and damage_duration = 4200

Damage ticks once every 200 time interval

decay is multiplied to into radiation damage each tick.

so to solve this

6*(0.91)^0 + 6*(0.91)^1 + 6*(0.91)^2 +6*(0.91)^3 + … 6*(0.91)^20 = 57

So if I had

radiation_damage = 6
radiation_decay = 0.5
and damage_duration = 1000

Then damage would be divided into 5 ticks or 200 increments each.
Tick 1: 6 * 0.5 = 3
Tick 2: 3 * 0.5 = 1.5
Tick 3: 1.5 * 0.5 = 0.75
Tick 4: 0.75 * 0.5 = 0.375
Tick 5: 0.375 * 0.5 = 0.1875
For a total damage of 5.8125.

Am I dong this right?
How is that rounded? Does the system actually keep track and assign 0.1875 damage or does it just round to 0 or 1?

So if I wanted to have a consistent X damage per tick, I could just set the decay rate to 1.00?

Close. You deal damage before decay, so

Tick 1: 6
Tick 2: 6 * 0.5 = 3
Tick 3: 3 * 0.5 = 1.5
Tick 4: 1.5 * 0.5 = 0.75
Tick 5: 0.75 * 0.5 = 0.375

Total damage = 11.625

I am not sure how it rounds, but I suspect they don’t store the damage from the previous tick, and rather recalculate each time with the base radiation (it’s just easier to program that way), so the rounding error should be minimal.

Yea but it doesnt matter wat decay u write , if u write 42000 damage duration, the ship will be irradiated til its killed (neverending irradiate ship). I dunno for sure how the decay works, i thought the Cetiah post was right, but that dmg is still insane…

What happens if a ship is hit twice?
Will the damage from the second (and third, and fourth) radiation sequence add to the radiation damage of the first? Will subsequent radiation be ignored? Will only the higher damage value be used?

They appear to stack.

Making a rapid fire radiation weapon seem to kill significantly faster than the slow counter part. Though would be nice if someone else can confirm this.

Just to confirm:

I have a nuclear missile with
radiation_damage = 20
radiation_decay = 0.8
damage_duration = 5000

My total damage = 20*(0.8)^0 + 20*(0.8)^1 + 20*(0.8)^2 +20*(0.8)^3 + … 20*(0.8)^24 = 99.62

Is this correct?

Once I get this confirmed I’ll make this into a VB app that anyone with a Windows PC can use and release it to the community.

edit: fixed for 0-24

0 to 24

Ok, I just got in and finished my radiation calculator. I confirmed it’s output with Cliff’s numbers from the Order weapons. Depending on your version of windows you may or may not need to go to Microsoft and download the Visual Basic runtime files (free download).
RadiationCalculator.rar (4.05 KB)

Nice idea to make a radiation calculator on vb ;), i did time ago (i lost it dunno know if ever finished it) the same calculator about the tracking speed (fireinteval / damage / 100 = tracking speed), but cuz i didnt know if it was the right calculation method, i never ended it.

yes…Radiation damage from multiple sources does stack

for instance I made a multi-warhead missle that deals rad damage…so each missile deals radiation damage…and it’s one of the most grossly powerful weapon I’ve yet divised (and working on the Union Mod I’ve made many)

omg… is the total rad damage stacked as well? so u can do 120 rad total damage if u hit for example with 4 warheads?? dude, thats insane…its worst that the talaron radiaton weapon from the scimitar hahahahahah…

Yes, Cliffski has confirmed in previous threads that damage from each radiation hit is determined and inflicted separately, and degrades separately. So they all add up.