Visual glitches and suggestions

After installing 1.115, I’ve noticed a few visual glitches I haven’t seen before.

Visual Glitches

Notice the political capital tooltip: It’s overflowing. This happens on all PC tooltips of 10 or more.

I saw a bubble appearing in the upper left a few times (Obesity was a situation that I previously had but had fixed at this point).

In case it’s relevant, I’m running at 1600 x 900 on Windows 7 64-bit with a GeForce GT 650M.

Also, I have two minor visual suggestions:

• When hovering over the effect a sympathetic minister has on a voter group, the tooltip suggests that you right click for a graph, and you can do so. Having a graph for this seems odd since, AFAIK, the effect is always exactly +5%.
  • I’m not sure if this is intentional, but it seems strange that you don’t see links to ministers when hovering over a voter group. This would be nice, since it would remind you of both the small positive effect they provide and be a quick way to see all of a group’s sympathetic ministers.
1 Like

Version: 1.116
Resolution: 2650x1080 on AMD Radeon 5700 XT

I just wanted to make a similar topic, I’m having a lot of visual problems too.

Here is the same circle in the upper corner as the one Cguy7777 has.

This is the big issue, after I clicked on the policy button to implement a new one, this happened. It happened multiple times in the same game. The member groups on the left remain clickable, and show this:

Returning to the main screen and exiting the game also misses buttons:

Just like the home screen:

After a restart I could move on, but even then there were some new issues. First the red circle in the upper corner, and after that some icons started disappearing:

There are missing icons in the Public Services, Economy and Welfare areas.

Can I ask what screen res and video card this is? Do all these problems go away if running in a 1920x1080 window instead?
It looks possibly like some sort of video card memory limit is being reached. Its also worth posting anything interesting from the debug log:
\my documents\my games\democracy 4\debug\drawdebug.txt

BTW first post…im aware of both issues and intend to get them fixed!

I think there should be tooltips displayed according to translation files.
Also mouse cursor doesn’t change while mouseovering over sliders.

I also have been getting lag and identical visual glitches to the ones others have had. Icons becoming oddly transparent or opaque, missing “bubbles”, the upper left corner being filled with large graphics. I only played on US so far. Task manager said one CPU core is almost maxed out but the rest don’t see any significant usage. I actually just tried to recreate the bug, but for some reason it did not freak out.
Version 1116
Windows 7 64 bit 1600x900
AMD Phenom II x4 970 Processor 3.5 GHz 8GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series with 4862MB total memory
Some of my hardware hasn’t had new drivers available in years though.
Also the backgrounds on tooltips sometimes shrink into a relatively thin line.

Lag as in a poor frame rate? That really shouldnt be an issue :frowning: I will look at what I can do. Is the lag worse on any particular screen?

It’s really only noticeable on the main screen. Especially when hovering over the bubbles to see connections. Only happened a few times but I think I was playing version 115 when they did.

I just uploaded a brand new build (1.12), try it and see if there is a difference. what you describe is exactly what I just (hopefully) sped up a lot.

Version 1.12, still eventually got the visual errors. No lag though.
Debug logs and screenshots of visual glitches:

The errors stop after closing the game and loading the save again. But I can get some visual glitches if I start clicking into and out of various menus quickly.

Am I right in thinking that video card is >10 years old? This should be fine, but it looks like the opengl driver for that video card is very out of date. The logs are reporting this:

OpenGL Version : 4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.200.1062.0

which sounds worrying. My own (by no means new) laptop reports this:

OpenGL Version : 4.6.0 - Build 26.20.100.7325

Which makes it sound like your video card is running in some slightly dodgy debug mode to run an opengl game :D. I strongly recomend checking for an updated driver for the card because if there is one, I reckon it will fix everything.
Glad the lag has gone. It was a subsantial speedup :smiley:

I get glitches too when quickly passing turns with all policies unlocked (I did test game for this one).

They disappear after restarting game as if something didn’t clear itself.
Its from error logs.
04/10/2020 - 19:47 - CAIRO data surface invalid.
04/10/2020 - 19:47 - CAIRO failed to secure enough system memory for data surface to store render request.
04/10/2020 - 19:47 - CAIRO not initialised.

They didn’t happen before updating to 1.116
I suspect some graphical memory leak.
Could be related to 64 bit conversion too

Thats a pretty obscure bug. Argghhhh. Sounds like something I’ll need a decent block of time to dig into, but I will find it :smiley: Actually if you have a save game that shows this I’d love to see it.

Modded country with all policies enabled will be good too.
You need to quickly pass turns.

Eventually graphical glitches will be getting more and more severe.

Restarting game clears them up.

By the way what happens if 2 countries have same GUID?
This is problematic with custom countries. Maybe sort then by names in case of same GUID?

Weirdly I can’t get those glitches to happen now…

Not sure anyone else is getting this, but: In 1.12, I’m seeing only the first digit of the PC cost preview over sliders.

I’m on 1.12 now, and I’ve now experienced more visual glitches, some being similar to what KoekKruimel has described.
As before, I’m using a GeForce GT 650M on Win 7 64-bit at 1600 x 900.

Glitch Images

By the way, I believe this has been known about for awhile, but I’m mentioning it because it was marked as fixed on the Trello board: I’m still experiencing tooltips that sometimes shrink.

1 Like

My video card is a AMD 5700 XT by the way, and the resolution is 2560x1080. And it could very well be an video card memory limit, the card has been a bit buggy in the past. Driver support from AMD has been a bit spotty, unfortunately. I think that is the common denominator in all these graphical problems, it’s all AMD.

And I’m getting the same CAIRO messages in my error logs.

it was marked as fixed, and clearly is not. Dont worry, I will re-add it and fix it!

1 Like

This is something that started happening in the switch to 64bit. I never had these glitches before. Im running on windows 64bit, 1440p screen full screen mode AMD HD7800. Glitches are not saved with saved game. If i save and exit out i can restart and keep playing. The glitches seem to happen when i am accessing the top menu items such as finance and the bar graphs.

Working on this all morning BTW. suspect I may have a fix incoming…