[WIP MOD] The Ancient Powers

No. Neither will any other Ancient Power race for that matter. I have all of the Amazonian weapons written out and have started on the Krystalsis. None of them have very diverse weaponry but neither do humans in our time: Guns (small-Big) and missiles (including railguns).

EDIT: Remember they are the earlier travelers who have taken over races less advanced than them, so they are still pretty much using what they did one their homeworld before going into space.

Ok, so my previous post (and methodology) is correct and you are in for a world of “fun” . .

To answer your other question.

Yes you are quite correct, all your various weapons for the aegyptus will come out of the same turret map, however you will be making several turret maps, one for each race and you also have to make the icons as well. (this is based on your earlier post that each races turrets look different)

The icons are not a problem for me, I can either base them off internet pictures and edit as I need, edit original turrets, or, if I really need to, draw them by hand and scan.
But what exactly is the headache about having fewer weapons and not including the normal ones? I will go try that out now, see for myself.

As i mentioned in my eairler post viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6030&p=42944#p42938, The main problem you will be facing is the restiction of the standard weapons. There is no command in the race file to stop your race from having access to the original weapons.

To achieve your objective, you are going to have to make 8 copies of the standard weapons and restrict each copy to a different valilla race. In addition you have to over write the original files to make it all work. <-(This will bring a whole new headache)

Aha… I went in game and checked and I surrender! I just want to get the desired effect though, a race that is clearly ancient with different weapons… Did you just make the different versions of each module or keep the normal weapons?

Yes, if you look in the Unity mod you have the following files:
Cruiser_Laser_heavy.txt (from the mod)
Cruiser_Laser_rapid.txt (from the mod)
Cruiser_Laser_extended.txt (from the mod)
So unity has access to the orriginal weapons and three varients of that weaon

Another Question: How badly do you want to carry out your objective . . ?

¿?¿?¿ How the hell u make a race not to use the standard original modules??? Is a new parameter on the txt file or something ?? It doesnt matter if u make your own modules / turrets, the standard original ones will be always available to any race, no matter wat. So a “myrace” race will always use the laser weapon, or the ion cannon for frigates, or the plasma launcher. U cant do anything about it.

So certain are you. Always with you it cannot be done. Hear you nothing that I say?

lol
anyways,

why do you ask that question in that way? Should I be especially scared, more than I already am?

Sorry, i did not mean to scare you - your objective CAN be done but it will present its own challanges.
How determined are you to meet them ? . . in other words, how much time do you wish to sink into this mod ?

The easy answer is ‘until its done/until I am satisfied’
I think I want to be done with this in 2 months’ time, hopefully much less.

hmmm, then i will help you. I am currently working on a solution.
When you look at what i have done, you will see what i mean about the challanges you will face.

thank you! Care to share? :stuck_out_tongue: Or at least the general idea…

No, i do not care to share the solution again . . take to long to type it all out, its quicker/easier to show you.
If you could send me a PM with a download to your latest build for me to modify.

I will send a reply with the new version and a rather lenghty explanation on the advantages and problems of this method.

Ok… I gotta get everything all in one place first.

No worries, I have to re write a perl script to help me make the changes to your mod.

should I convert images to dds or will you not be working with them/be able to do it yourself?

Nope, no need for you to convert anything, i have finished the perl script, so ready when you are

I’m ready when megaupload is ready :slight_smile:
This got me thinking about when its time to publicly release my mod. Is there an easier way to upload files? Or should I stick to megaupload?

Megaupload, Mediafire, etc - everyone has their favorite.
Should only take me 5 minutes to make the changes (gotta love perl scripts)

::edit::
This could be interesting - i have to remember how to extract a mac zip file for winXP again