[1.0 Final] New race - His Voice

Wow, modeling a ship enterily from the 2D sprite can take some work I think ;). Have you had a look at the models here? I think they’ll may help you due to being federation models.

I guess it would be the logical starting point, but to be honest this is more about the journey if you know what I mean, it’s given me a great opportunity to get to grips with Blender, and it is coming together bit by bit. And no, I dont intend to do them all, just the messenger for now. Progress shot:

I’m learning how to model in Blender too, but I take my time to learn how it works so I haven’t done much with it yet. I need to finish another mod first :slight_smile:

It looks really good the ship, there’s less left to do for you to have it finished. Looking forward to see it completed :slight_smile:

Perhaps we should start a blender tips thread?
I’m trying to learn blender, but my laptop isn’t good enough to run it well :confused:

I’m absolutely loving blender, I’ve switched to the latest beta builds (2.5x) as the latest stable releases dont really work for me, I cant do things like box select, which is really frustrating…

As for tips, I dont mind sharing what I’ve learned, but I feel I’d just end up propagating all my bad practises. I can however recommend this tutorial cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/blende … der-basix/

Also, if like me you’re impatient and just want to play around and discover stuff, have a play around with these 2 modifiers : subdivision surface and mirror. They’re a big help!

Anyway, I got doodling again :smiley: , see if you can recognise this :

To me it smells like an Orz Nemesis ship from Star Con 2 (love that game)

Cookie for you :slight_smile: absolutely loved that game, I used to pore over the fold out star map and check my info on different systems’ bio diversity and mineral resources. Every now and then I do a search online to see if there have been any games like it since, anyone know of any?

appart from the open source remake of SC2 . . no i do not know of any :frowning:

That’s such a shame :frowning: I remeber an open source project a while ago that sought to recreate a gameworld similar to SC2, but I’ve lost the references…

Anyway, a little update on the messenger, and I played around and made an Orzs fighter type ship (also, I accidentally saved it over the nemesis, so I’ll have to have another crack at that, oops!)

Wow, the last looks great, i really like this mod, especially the Messeger frigate, in addition with another mod (i cant remember the name) i make a messeger frigate with autoloaders and pulsars, a bastion shield, the best engine and the frigate was transformed into a Fast, Light and Hard killing machine. Alone, my super-messeger [size=50](unbalanced xD)[/size] can kill a cruiser, and a swarm of them… well, Epic Win xD
But recently I removed this unbalanced mod (i can not remember the name)(not the yours!) because it made it very easy victory.
Anyways, this mod is my favorite. GW!

Thank you! It’s very encouraging as a modder to know that people are enjoying your work, and to hear what people get upto with it :slight_smile: I’m quite close to finishing the messenger now, not decided if I should redo the engines or try and salvage what i have…

Hopefully once I get this blendering out of my system I’ll go back and actually finish the mod :slight_smile:

Ow , good job there!!

Im learning sketchup since the last version of Blender seems to be too much hard to learn for making a GSB mod with a lot of ships. I know Blender is far better modeller program that sketchup, but for now, i need a fast program for modelling like sketchup, and maybe another one for rendering the images. I tried to use Blender to render the sketchup models, but without success (its like the Blender import filter doesnt work or something) and now i am using a katherea filter on sketchup for rendering, but i really dont like the final result. Kete , wat version of Blender are u using??? u know any other rendering program / filter that i could use??

PD.: With SCon u mean Star Control?? (i loved that game too -.- but i dont know if u guys talking about that game).

Thanks man, I do what I can :slight_smile: I’m using blender 2.54beta, I did use the last stable release (2.49) but it didn’t run well on my computer, I couldnt box select or knife cut for example. As for filters and rendering I’m afraid it’s not something I’ve had any experience with yet, I’m still just modeling really, only dabbling with materials. Its taken me probably about 6 hours in all to finish the ship, but that involved a lot of trial and error, so it might not be so slow once you get the hang of it. I think the great thing about modelling for gsb is that polycount isn’t a consideration.

Edit - and yep, we were talking about Star Control 2, gem of a game

Hi guys

Just wanted to let you know,barring a few optimisations and smoothing over jagged edges, it’s finished!!

I’ll see if I can figure out rendering to the point where I can add engine burn…

Im very impresed, it looks great! GW!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for the praise :slight_smile:

I have a question, I dont think I have the stamina to do another race, but I have been playing about with what I reckon an orz fleet might look like :slight_smile:

So this question is really to modders in general : If I produced the sprites for a race, is their the will in the community to do something with them?

Attached is what I think an Orz cruiser might look like

Cheers

Hi guys, just uploading v0.8 now, I’ll update the 1st post shortly. It only includes a few things but I thought i better make an update :slight_smile:

Included changes:

Archangel is now bigger, more polished, and more inline with one of SirJamon’s dreadnoughts

All 5 scenarios are now playable, they all include new painted backgrounds (painted in Gimp that is :slight_smile: ). Only the easy setting of each scenario is done, and they will likely need tweaking, but at least you can wreak havok against some new backgrounds

New loadscreens

No balancing changes made to modules or hulls yet; haven’t got round to it I’m afraid…

Anyway, please enjoy and please let me know if I’ve done something goofy like used a module from a different mod

cheers
David

Had a couple of funky game crashing errors with new weapons/turrets in this mod. After reading Darkstar076’s modding tutorials(thank you for this) I found and fixed the errors.

Here is an updated version: mediafire.com/?ibpfch55meckxia

Nice mod Kete! I’m having a lot of fun with this one.

I have yet to download this but your screenshots and ships look REALLY good. I’m extremely impressed, looking forward to field testing these ships.

now back to my own mod work

Nice to know this forum is still alive and kicking!

you do realize Kete hasnt been here for 2 years, right?