Attack Priority

Was any of this ever addressed?

I’m starting to remember my despair, lol.

I could accept making defenseless fighter-bombers if I could give them no attack fighter orders, and they’d ignore them. Doesn’t work, they still waste their big, slow missiles on fighters they’ll never hit. Same thing with huge cruiser weapons that have incredibly slow ROFs. They’ll waste shots on fighters.

At the very least, their fire control should know not to waste time shooting at targets with a speed greater than tracking speed, the 2% random hit isn’t good enough for anyone to want that.

Even a general rule to only attack targets with a speed within some range of the weapon tracking speed would be a great addition. The game really needs variant levels of weapons. Think of a WW2 CA. It has main guns, for attacking other ships (8" in triples, say). It has Dual Purpose guns, like the 5" 38 caliber DP gun, used vs other large ships, smaller ships, and even aircraft, then it has 40mm quads that are primarily for AAA use, but in a knife fight with ships could be used as well, if unlikely. IJN CAs had torpedo tubes. Those would be used against ships, obviously, never aircraft.

Right now, in GSB, we have a WW2 Japanese CA, and it uses it’s longest ranged weapon, the torpedo, and fires it when it detects incoming aircraft, and by the time they reload, the engagement is over.

Forcing a ship with no attack order for a class to NEVER attack that class is a work around, but it gets rid of the picture of a CA or bigger as a multi-role ship. At the least a line in the weapon module for what class(es) the module will NOT target would be ideal. Ship orders apply to whatever weapons aboard are allowed to attack a given class. AAA cruiser can have fighters as priority targets, but it can have a main battery then that will only shoot at frigates or better, too.