COMPILATION OF PROBLEMS AND THEIR FIXES. READ THIS FIRST!!!

As we move along, I will add more to this.

If you see a bug not covered here, please PM me with the info. Preferable a fix too. :wink:

Due to the sale by steam, our user base is increasing RAPIDLY. In fact, I got the demo a week previous, and when it went on sale, I jumped. This rapid increase is revealing many new bugs, and I’ve always thought we needed a single bug topic. So here goes:

HIDDEN WINDOWS BAR AT TOP OF GAME
Problem: A hidden windows bar at the top of the game that can cause exits/minimizes.
Solution: (1)(UNCONFIRMED) If running dual-core, set affinity to only one core.
(2)(INCONSISTENT)(TEMPORARY) Run in windowed mode.
(3) Go into GSB.exe’s properties and disable visual themes under the Compatibility tab.

VARIOUS GRAPHICS PROBLEMS (SHAKY, STOPPY, ETC.)
Problem: Different errors and/or bugs that make the game look jumpy or run slowly on high-spec computers.
Solution: (UNCONFIRMED) If running dual-core, set affinity to only one core.

MISSION/SAVE DEPLOYMENT AND OTHER BUTTONS NOT WORKING
Problem: Different buttons throughout the game will not respond immediately/at all. Usually the save deployment and mission buttons.
Solution: (TEMPORARY) Run in windowed mode.

MISSING EXPANSION RACES
Problem: Races bought, but no ships and/or races show up.
Solution: (1)Make sure to select race in battle, select race screen. Button is in the top right.
(2)go to the data folder, then to installs. Add (or make sure there is) a .txt called order, swarm, and tribe, and check their contents. Their contents should look like below:[config] path = order
And for each race.

GSB.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem.
Problem: Game crashes upon startup, or at main screen for various reasons.
Solution: (1) Ensure that you have a suitable resolution. Must be at least 768 high.
(2) If you have played the demo, try deleting C:\Users****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles.

FAILED TO INITIALIZE 3D GAME ERROR
Problem: A varying error pops up, saying something about failing to initialize the 3D game.
Solution: (1) Restart your compy.
(2) Ensure that in C:\Users****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles, in your prefs.ini file, the following lines exist: width = 1024
height = 768

Until stickeyed: BUMP.

I only get the hidden windows bar at the top/bottom when during the game I Alt-tab or when something pops up in the background (i.e. messenger / or download complete notice).

Well - I did learn something - I had no clue you could set the affinity - and not sure why it would really do anything?

Berny

When games aren’t specifically programmed to utilize dual core machines, the cores will eventually (sometimes quickly) write to the same area, trying to do the same work. They aren’t synchronised, and it can cause a WIDE array of problems.

Bloodaugust, thank you for creating this error compendium as well as sharing your insight about multi-core machines. I’m impressed that you’ve accomplished so much of value in your short time with us so far. Keep up the good work, mate! :smiley:

TY!
I like the members on here, and the game itself a lot. Just tryin to help out. :slight_smile:

yep, that might’ve had something to do with my Crossover games problem. I wonder why it didn’t happen for regular crossover…

It is interesting. Oh well, at least its fixed! :smiley:

hey… it’s stickeyed now! :smiley:

Actually, it was stickied for our entire convo. LOL

OK, so what is the best way to set the affinity to one processor?

When the game is running, run task manager, and then right click on gsb.exe and you can set it there.

Vindicare pointed out a fix that actually worked. Here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5050&start=15#p34225

Worked splendidly for me. (setting processor affinity did not have any effect)

THANKS!

Does seem to help a bit on the really LARGE battles.

You might want to add the un-clickable buttons symptom to the “Problem” statement on this one.

Same here; visual themes seems to be the culprit and dual-core stuff shouldn’t be blamed.

hello,

i have the demo of GSB and i have a small laptop and the maxumum screen is: 640x480 and i cant run GSB
and in a error log it says that my screen is too small…
also ive tried to change the resolution in the prefs.config file in my documents but i couldnt see the whole thing… is there any way to play it??

greetz martijn

The smallest screen that GSB supports is 768x1024. Says so in the FAQ, this thread, and the readme file in the program (although, strangely, not in the demo archive…)

-Crissa

GSB.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem.
Problem: Game crashes upon startup, or at main screen for various reasons.
Solution: (1) Ensure that you have a suitable resolution. Must be at least 768 high.
(2) If you have played the demo, try deleting C:\Users****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles.

Ok, I got this problem, but if I run GSB from steam that will run, but if I run GSC from the short cut, it get the above error. I never had the demo, and I am running higher then 768. I do get some error about a race, I click ok, and then it just crashes, and Win7 tells me it has stopped working.

Now if you got GSB on Steam, where should I install CSC? Maybe that is screwing it up.

That was it, solved the problem, installed it in the wrong folder. Never mind.

Thanks for all the suggestions; may I suggest a small edit to the sticky that others may find helpful?

For the “GSB.exe has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution to the problem” error, maybe rephrase the second line of the solution to read “2) If you have played the demo, or if you installed GSB from Steam, try deleting C:\Users****\Documents\My Games\GratuitousSpaceBattles.” (or something along those lines). Deleting that folder resolved my problem, but I had initially skipped past that solution since I hadn’t played the demo. Thanks!

There is a major problem with the steam version of the game.

To run the game, AT ALL, you have to delete your ‘My Games’ folder. Once you’ve run the game once, and it recreates that folder, you can no longer play without deleting that folder and starting all over again. I want a fix to this -now-