Current Work In progress

This does the trick nicely. Thanks Cliffski.

IMHO is not looking good at all. Maybe you can make just a colored stroke around ships?

I think that the tint needs to be less solid. At the moment it just makes the enemy fleet bright green instead of just tinting it, which does make it look a bit crap. Make the tint a bit less vibrant and it should look better.

How about giving some options for the overlay in the options menu so that (possibly colour blind) people can pick what they want to use themselves.

Repair Drones
The latest changes to repair UI stuff is best explained in this blog post and video:
positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/?p=347

I vote for this. I green outline around the ship that doesn’t wash out all the pretty details or mess up the awesome blow-upy-ness would be better.

why not use the same colors as the minimap? white and blue?

Why not apply this to the mouse over name box? At the moment it’s always brown. Why is it not friend-foe coloured so that I can tell which fighters are whose?

I’d like to say that looks fantastic. The Collective would be proud :slight_smile:

Impressive effect. This kind of readability really helps gameplay.

The way I see it, the color toggle would be used sparingly, just to get an idea of who’s ships are whose, and then shut off again. I don’t mind the obvious color differences. It isn’t something that would be running the whole time

this feature is REALLY good.

This is something I’m sticking in. It’s more for entertainment than gameplay. If you click the shipname, the screen will focus on that ship. If you click on a ship to show their module data, then that filters messages to only be those coming from that ship.

I hope there will be some extreme messages, like when ship is almost destroyed or smth like “Shields are holding!”

Or “She’s breaking up Cap’n!”

How about messages tell you what the ai is thinking?

“Bugging out!” - Cautious
“Targeting weakened enemy!” - Vulture

• funny flavor text at the end?

I bet you have some really cool AI-debugging visualizations hidden in there actually, would be really cool to get a glimpse of that or re-purpose some of it as tactical overlays.

Indeed, this was my intention originally too, although it’s harder than it sounds because the AI will never target someone because they have vulture orders and the enemy is damaged, it just becomes one of a dozen ro so factors that are calculated and weighed up before selecting that target, so it’s more like "all things considered, i’ve decided to shoot this guy’. But I will revisit this and do more work on it later.

if when you turned on grid-mode, equally green and tactical-display-cool stuff appeared around the current ship showing move-target, and the various weapons targets, that’d be very neat.

(slowly rotating ornate circle-style target markers… star trek displays come to mind, but i’m not sure whether that’s right)

new survival map in development:

Buuuuuuuuuugs!

:o