Error 36....

Alright. I tried the whole modding thing (i tried adding the starwars one). This was my first time ever trying so with a game. So I followed all instructions etc. I was able eventually to bring the game up with the new hulls and race. I opened the hull for the millenium falcon and went through the whole design process. I put it up for the first scenario and right as it came into range of the first alliance frigate…my game crashes. It did this over and over. So I looked further into the page with the mod and decided to add the names to the race file. It wouldn’t save, and somehow that whole file ended up getting deleted. I completly uninstalled my game and reinstalled it with my disc (ten bucks extra) and now the game won’t even start up at all. Due to error 36. Anybody know what to do at this point, or have I spent thirty dollars on a game that I’ve no screwed up and can’t play at all?

I’ve just taken a look around the game files as well. There isn’t much there. It’s pretty much blank, actually.

Hi. It sounds like you have a version of the game that is a month old (or more). When did you buy it? Do you know what version it was? This error is only from a very old version. Downloading and installing the latest version should solve it.

It was originally v 1.24 but that was before I used the disc. Is it possible I was sent the old version disc? Where do I need to go to redownload the game? Without buying it again…

If you bought direct from positech, you got an email with a download link in it. That link should still be valid, so just use it to re-download the (up to date now) installer for the game.

Is it possible to get that email resent somehow? All I can find is the BMT micro email about the order, but it’s just telling me about the disc that I ordered with it.

the only thing BMT micro will send you about this order is the link, and information on your game.

Found it. Thanks! Although there is still that problem about the ten extra dollars I spent to have the game on a disc, as I thought that’s what it was, and now that disc is useless. Anyway I can get a disc with something on it, or maybe a refund?

Now I get the "Failed to find race:…\src\SIM_RACE.cpp 128. I’m going to try again…

Got it now. I had to go through and delete all of the empty old game files.

Now I’ve got a new problem. Everytime I try to change the hull type, the game crashes.

Did you completely uninstall the game, remove the My Documents\My Games\Gratuirous Space Battles folder and reinstall? If you get any errors at all it is worth trying that. If you have done that, and are running the latest (1.26) version, then you should not get any crashes at all.

I’ve done exactly that. Multiple times. It’s just that the race files are not downloading. Or at least they are not where I can see them. I can play the first battle with the tutorial ships, and I can get to the ship desgin screen, the fleet hq screen, etc. I cannot however, design a ship.

I have a file for…deployments, orders, ships, web, config, prefs, sc.dat, tip_pos, tutorial_seen. Orders is empty, as is ships. Web has challenges and challenge data, which are both empty.

Config is the most full thing I can find, and it has the following

[code][config]
CONTRAILS = 1.00
FANCYBEAMS = 1.00
DEBRIS = 1.00
TURRETS = 1.00
RUNNINGLIGHTS = 1.00
REPAIRBOTS = 1.00
ESCAPEPODS = 1.00
SHADERS = 1.00
CAMERASHAKE = 1.00
MOTIONBLUR = 1.00
HULKS = 1.00
INVERTZOOM = 1.00
PITCHSHIFT = 1.00
HARDWARESOUND = 1.00
COMMS = 1.00
RUNINBACKGROUND = 1.00
TRANSITIONS = 1.00
OPTIONS_SFX = 1.00
OPTIONS_MUSIC = 1.00
OPTIONS_MOUSESPEED = 0.50
OPTIONS_MASTERVOLUME = 1.00
OPTIONS_INTERFACE_VOLUME = 1.00
RUNINBACKGROUND = 0.00
TRANSITIONS = 1.00
CHALLENGES_SHOWLOCAL = 0.00
CHALLENGES_SHOWPERSONAL = 0.00
CHALLENGES_SHOWPOSTED = 0.00
CHALLENGES_SHOWALL = 1.00

[race]
race = federation
[/code]

That’s it. This is all that downloads, and I’ve completely removed this and everything else several times over now. I’m at five, today, actually.

Do I have to have the demo downloaded for it to work? I do remember having that when I had v 1.24.

This sounds suspiciously like a permissions issue. have you tried installing the game to some folder under MyDocuments. It could be that the game has some problem being able to access files. Although even then, all the new ship designs get stored in MyDocuments anyway…

The path it always takes automatically is My Games (it’s the only one under this folder) and my games it part of my documents. In version 1.24, this worked just fine. Why would it not work this way again with v. 1.26?

Anyways…I tried putting into my documents. As the game started up anew, I went to the game design, and tried to change the hull. It worked. I exited and looked at the files. Same files. That part is wierd. The rest of the game seems to be working, but I’m concerned I may not be able to mod it. I’ll keep testing and come back later.