I’m running XP x64, and the path to my user folder is D:[username] instead of C:\Documents and Settings[username].
When I launch GSB, nothing happens except that a process appears in task manager fully-utilizing one CPU core. This is different than the other failures on launch I see on the forums, where error messages, audio, or a title screen are involved. Absolutely nothing happens onscreen.
No debug data or ini files are getting written anywhere, which is why I think there’s a problem with a hardcoded path or drive letter not liking my nonstandard user folder location. When I posted this issue on the Steam forums another user said they had the same problem, but it’s dead over there and nobody had any useful feedback.
- Yes, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled from Steam. Several times.
- No, I’m not running AV at all; don’t need to disable it.
- Yes, I’ve tried running the .EXE from Windows Explorer instead of launching through the Steam interface.
- Yes, I’ve tried running \directx\DXSETUP.EXE.
- Yes, I’ve tried creating the folders GSB is expecting to find in the places it’s expecting to find them.