Mac Friendly Mods [Gratuitous Mod Pack for Mac! (pg. 5)]

Hey Kemp, tested your theory on not changing the .dds coding. It works for the Legios mod I’m currently working on! Pic below.

That saves me a lot of time with converting formats if I don’t have to change the coding. That takes a longer time than converting the pictures.

I’m waiting on Eich’s response to post up his mod, Legios, at this time. Anyone have any requests or would like me to start modifying their mod for macs?

Courtesy of Eich, I present Legios.

Mod Title: Legios
Author: Eich
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?7dyps0d72m0vm6r
Known Issues: Not an issue really, just a heads up. The coding for this mod was left unaltered. If you run into problems (like ships as white boxes) let me know and I’ll get to changing the code.
Fixed Issues:

I just drop in to say thank you BowlNwhsprer for your good work in keeping my mod in the minds of people :wink: I’m happy to see that there are still people out there which might enjoy the mod because I put alot of work into it!

I tried your mod time ago, and in fact was one of the first mods i played, and yup, it is awesome, and i think i will install it again ^^ some mods are great, but only a few know it, i know wat it is to make a mod with hard work, and after that only a few tried it. Maybe cuz they dont like the theme, or on wat is the mod based, or watever. Anyways, your mod is great, dont tell anybody to say other thing xDD.

Agreed Eich, your mod is solid and quite fun. I love the fact that your modules have custom images and your ships are custom designs. I’d give it a 5/5 or 10/10 or 100% or A+ or any alternative grade scale that equals a perfect score.

Agreed Eich, your mod is solid and quite fun. I love the fact that your modules have custom images and your ships are custom designs. I’d give it a 5/5 or 10/10 or 100% or A+ or any alternative grade scale that equals a perfect score.

Again, courtesy of Eich’s hard work:

Scavengers

Mod Title: Scavengers
Author: Eich
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ptkpsv28utcbva6
Known Issues: Not an issue really, just a heads up. The coding for this mod was left unaltered. If you run into problems (like ships as white boxes) let me know and I’ll get to changing the code.
Fixed Issues:

Mod Title: Classic Dreadnoughts
Author: Archduke Astro
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ho843x6ylsqgl3p
Known Issues: None.
Fixed Issues:

If it helps, I’ve been using GraphicConverter and MassReplaceIt by hexmonkey software (hexmonkeysoftware.com/) to change all the .dds files to .png and mass-edit the packages in one go to make them OSX compatible. That might be faster for you than having to edit each text file one at a time. :slight_smile:

@shugotenchi: Yeah, I have graphicconverter too but the problem with it is that some modders’ files are encrypted differently as .dds files. My mac for some reason can’t read them (they display as meshy blocks of black and white). I think if a modder uses gimp, I have to use the same program to convert the files. It’s a slow process but I’ll try out that hexmonkeysoftware, maybe that’ll work.

@everyone else: I’m not sure when I’ll have to time convert and upload. Maybe in a few weeks. I am teaching American Civics for A Hawai’i High School’s Summer School Program. Really busy. Hope to jump back into the fray soon though!

Are the graphics files the only difference between mods for Mac and mods for PC?

Pretty much. .dds (pc) versus .png (mac). If the PC side ran on .png, it would be totally win/mac friendly!

Hey fellows,

Recently I’ve jumped back into the fray of GSB after a long hiatus.

Anyway, I found a great new batch converter for mac called “Aorta.” It converts great but for some reason I’m given this error message when I open the ship creator screen for the new race that I’ve converted. In the case below, it is for 123stw’s “Ancient vs. Microbe” mod.

If anyone can help me with this issue, it would be muchly appreciate. Once I get 123stw’s permission, I’ll upload a broken copy of his AncientsvsMicrobe mod that is affected by this error.

Just an update folks.

I’ve scanned through mods that currently work and the files are the same (minus the obvious different mod names and such). The pictures, script, coding, everything seems similar. Maybe it’s that I need the newer expansion pack? Could it be the converter? Am I missing key files? Is it the .pkg file? Argh! All these unanswered questions!

The converter works, I have used it. As far ans the error goes…I would check the race file code and make sure the race name jives with the hull file race names. Don’t forget you also have to convert the .dds in the hull codes EXCEPT for the engine glows. If you convert that line of code to “engineglow.png” it will not work. It must retain the .dds extension for whatever reason.

I see. I tested it while trying to leave the coding the same (in .dds form) as it worked with the legios mod. I also tried changing everything in coding to .png as well. Didn’t know about the engineglow thing. Anywho, didn’t work either way. I’ll look into the hull / race name bit. Thanks!

Thanks Magnus! The mod works now! :slight_smile: Much appreciated.

Hey macfans,

Working on 123stw’s Ancients vs Microbe mod and GATC’s Xedilco mod. I just need author approval and I’ll have them available for use soon.

If anyone wants me to convert their mod, let me know. I’ll be happy to do so.

You are going to have problems with that, they are pretty “dead”.

Moderators might kill me for saying this, but if you dont recieve any answer i suggest you to just jump that step and share the mac versions, i think that the authors are going to be happy about it anyways, and its not exactly “ideal” to leave dozens (and maybe undreds) of mac users without these excellent pieces of work just for two innactive users, even if they are the authors…