Miscellaneous Things I've Done

You shouldn’t read my mind … the lights are out in there and you could hurt yourself. :wink:

I’m not going to go so far as to say “all the races”; while that is the ultimate goal, there are minor issues:

Alliance: I mentioned before, I find the Alliance stuff tough to work with due to the lack of straight lines. Plus, balancing an Alliance station is a trick because I’ve never made a successful Alliance fleet (proving that I don’t really know what their strengths are). So they get pushed downwards in priority (and may have to be excluded if I can’t get the station to look the way I want it).

Empire: The big issue with Empire is that their ships look like space stations already. Making something unique may be problematic; at the moment, I really don’t have any specific notions what an Empire station ought to look like, so they get pushed downwards in priority as well.

Swarm: How exactly does one make a space station from bird parts? Time will tell, I suppose…

So, in other words, I will keep this thread as up-to-date as I can with pretty pictures, and hopefully a small mod pack consisting of nothing but new hulls for established races will be forthcoming in the future. And keep in mind that this is work going on around my other mod projects…

U forgot the nomads eh :wink:

Nope, I just have no problems with them. Or the Tribe or Order for that matter. It’s the three I mentioned that have issues that may impact them getting functional stations. :slight_smile:

Oh, i thought those were the vanilla races u left for space stations, but anyways ya i forgot the tribe too :stuck_out_tongue:

That this means u already have a nomads space station???

Not yet, but I don’t see any major roadblocks in building one. Just haven’t got to it yet. :slight_smile:

Tried once- it’s pretty hard not to end up with something that looks like it was built from a scrapheap (each ship has a unique style and its hard to get a good combo when your designing something with numerous axes- assuming you use more than one ship).

I’m actually OK with a Nomad station looking like they built it from spare parts. None of their other ships match, so who’s to say what their primary design aesthetic is? It makes them pretty much the only race where I can just sort of build free-form and keep going until I think I’m done. :slight_smile:

And now, a functional Rebel Relay Station - well, OK, lots of them, set up as missile platforms:

These are frigate hulls, but with scale on the same order as your average Imperial frigate. After all, even the Rebels don’t build their stations cramped.

Looks awesome! :smiley:
I just cant wait to make the hull code of my version, wich will be A LOT bigger, maybe around 3.5 cruisers depending of the stretching limits.

First I want to say that I love your work.
Some time ago I also wanted to create space stations, but then I had other things to do and put the project on hold. I just want to share what I’ve done so far (it’s really not much).

This is my trial of an Alliance Station named Cocoon. (My theroy is, that their ships are not built, but that they grow in a kind of cocoon.)

Donwload as PNG (for converting to DDS)

Since their ship hulls and ship names are based on egypt and egyptian mythology, I thought I should make a Pyramid as their station.
I failed. The result was not good, not as picture and even worse ingame.

Some of the problems (apart that it needs alot more graphical work and detail):

• weapons fire that goes through the pyramid to hit the back side (looks weird)
  • own turrets located at the back and fire over the pyramid (that’s why I left only one turret emplacement at the top and removed the others)
  • when it breaks apart, it doesn’t look like it was a pyramid before

Oh man, the Aliance station looks pretty awesome! It gives me some fear sensation =D

LOL! That was ‘very’ good. :slight_smile:

Swarm aught to be a nest of feathers, no?

Thanks! It’s always nice to be appreciated. :slight_smile:

This is along the lines of what I expected an Alliance station would look like. Very good work! I especially like the dark, foreboding colors.

I think when I take a thwack at it, I’ll probably see what I can do about making it even more threatening, with spiky pods growing this way and that (like the bow of the Shark cruiser).

Agreed, this would make sense.

Thanks!

Me too :slight_smile:
I made this station a while ago, it was green instead of red and brighter. I didn’t like it. Now with new color and dark center it’s much better.

A little bump, a little update:

Been working on-and-off on the second Rebel station (cruiser-class). Once I’ve got it functional and I’m happy with all three stations so far (1 Federation, 2 Rebel) I think I’ll put 'em out there so folks can doodle around with them and figure out where I’ve accidentally built immortality into them. :slight_smile:

I’m not saying I’m done with this effort, not by a long shot. But I figure the available stations will get tested much more thoroughly if I let them out to play, which should help me make other stations a bit better balanced from the get-go. Stay Tuned!

In keeping with the “miscellaneous” nature of this thread, I thought I’d share some ship sprites I’ve been working on for an upcoming mod. I’m not going to give any more details than that, preferring to let the pictures speak their thousand words.

A couple of cruisers:

Just the one frigate so far:

And of course, fighters to round it out:

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Gahhh my eyes!!

[size=85]Just kidding xD[/size]

Those funky/psychedelic colours are quite… interesting. Sadly the only design that i’m liking is the second cruiser.

Looks like a purple Vader :stuck_out_tongue:

^whats with the jaggedness?

Assuming you are referring to something about the image quality:

Out-of-universe, I’m using Paint.net and the sprites came out good enough for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

In-universe, there’s a reason for all quality-related deficiencies that I’m not sharing yet.

Yes, these ships are intended to be spectacularly ugly in both color and design. You didn’t think everyone shared human aesthetic preferences, did you? :wink:

Pretty sure I’m not getting the reference …