Really flaky ship editor.

This is so freaking cool it hurts!!! Many thanks for allowing us to use your hidden tools.

But I have a little trouble with loading a few ships that i made, its the Federation supereagle cruiser and Federation supereagle II cruiser Both are some that i made off the Eagle cruiser. It crashes with some sort of error one second and i’ll run it again to get the error.

Main title is “Microsoft visual C++ runtime library”
inside the box is " Runtime error, program <drive:\folders\GSB.exe this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information."

I Would love to be able to load the files and not have to remake the supereagle over from the eagle.

is there is microsoft updats that the computer says you need to download (that yellow shield with the ’ !’ on it on the start bar thing)

nope, If it helps any I’m using a pc with windows seven and the files are NOT located in the program files, but on a separate hard dive. As Far as I know I’m fully updated.

try defraging your computer, remove all mods etc for GSB. i think it might be a error with a Office Program though

For the one that said it was not saving, You MUST exit the game for the edited ship file to write. Soooooo If you want to edit a ship file make a backup BEFORE you exit, or open to edit.

I’ll just remake them with the in-game editor its not a big deal as the others seam to load just fine except these two.

Much thanks.

Arg, pain. I can’t save my work in progress. I guess it does not function for separate mod folders. Edit: Scratch that part, I can’t get it to save at all. :frowning:

General suggestions: Make sure the basic save/loading works! >>
Give us input boxes for sliders! Making engines is a pain in the butt.
Disable damage effects, as mentioned previously. Smoke covers the UI.
Explosions can’t be created (?), only modified; at least if you’re not starting with any.
Edit: Some funky UI stuff gets stuck in the upper right when the lights category is selected.

Aside from those nitpicks, this is awesome and thank you, Cliffski. :smiley:

I have found out that if I exit RIGHT after i edit a ship it saves it otherwise it is hit or miss. Its a pain in the butt to have to close reopen to edit a number of ships. but I makes sure your not losing time. the smoke is horrable i usaly edit out ALL damage in the file before I go and redo the damage. As for the explosions I copy paste from other files. The input boxes are needed its apin in the butt trying to edit engines for the fighters when an engine effect is bigger that the screen and NO way to adjust it. Also I have noted that as you creat more engine effect the sliders slowly go up and soon leave the screen with no way to get them back other than a exit and reopen. Also I’m having troubles with module placments as they like to move inward on some of the larger ships I have made. and with no way to properly line them up its hard to get modules lined up right as with know just right where they will be. AKA the center of them for the turrets can be a little treaky to place.

Great tool as it helped me out a lot.
Lonestar

Am I the only one having trouble with this thing? If people are able to save successfully, could they point me in the right direction? I’d really like to have this working. :confused:

I’m having trouble with it too :frowning:
i’m using my newly created ship baed on a bufferlo cruiser .txt
the thing plays perfectly fine in game (but aside from the image… it’s a buffalo)
now when i use the editor to edit it, even just moving a module when i click “save” GSB closes with an “Error”.
anyone know a workaround? or whats wrong?

Just been testing with other ships;
it crashes when trying to save vanilla ships with no changes and other mod ships too.
tried playing around a bit to no avail.

The internal editor is still in beta state. That means that a lot of functions are missing and alot of hulls make the editor to crash (Happened to me btw).

About the save issue, seem to be bugged too. If i edit a hull and save, exit and reopen the file, the changes will apply. But if u modify a hull, u save it and u test that ship without exiting the game, u will not see any change.

This is a great editor, just has more bugs in it than good. But ALSO please note, this was something that Cliffski made for HIM to use and not really put out. But he let it out to allow us to use it since we are modding happy here. Also he has said that he can not work on it till the campain is out and working good.

I also have lots of trouble with this program also, But I have had more that goes works than that goes bad.

I had never had trouble with this ship editor until the new 1.47 patch that Steam made me install.

Given the choice between doing it in notepad, testing, reopening notepad…ad infinitum, I’ll use the buggy editor.

Now that the campaign is out, any plans to make this into a fully featured editor?
And is there a version that works with OS X?

alright, so i tried the ingame ship editor and it worked… exept that i cant save, because when i press the save button, the game crashes.

and when i look at the error file it says this: - Assertion failure:filename:…\src\GUI_HullEditor.cpp,linenum:279,build:Full 1.50

any help?

When I attempt using the Really Flaky Ship Editor, I get the same crashes. I have no solution for them, either. I’ve given up on it and returned to the time-consuming business of going thru textfiles. Methinks it unlikely that cliffski’s going to repair that app, as he’s already beginning to steer his development efforts towards the next Positech game.

Did the editor crashes even if u dont change anything and saves the hull? if not, u should try step by step making first the explosions and save, then hulls and save and so on. Till u discover where is the issue. Maybe something wrong with the hull, values out of range, i dont know, maybe is the editor that cuz is in a beta state doesnt work in all the system setups.

tested it, and it crashes on every ship even if i didnt change anything… bah! i guess im gonna have to go back and modify the .txt by hand again…