Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod - Please Help!

Clarification: those DS files are normally invisible on a Mac; they’re part of the Finder’s file management methods in OS X. After one has transferred a natively Mac-created mod into a Windows OS environment, they can be safely deleted by the importing player. Just flush 'em and forget 'em.

Sounds similar to the trash thumb.db files I get with any PC mod. I set this up just like I did my B5 mods…other than coding errors that has worked pretty well…so…

Out of interest, could these actually be stopping it from working? I know you say they’re not important, but if they’re from a Mac…I’ll get rid of them and try again.

Nope, no joy unsurprisingly. Losing hope, which is a shame because I really wanted to play it and help :confused: Maybe the toasters have infiltrated my network…

Sorry for all the posts, I’m just trying to iron out any possible problems. I think the main problem lies in the fact that if I put the bsg mod’s folder into the GSB one, the game crashes on startup (i.e. the music starts and the main menu pic comes up, but not the menu). I can see no reason why this would happen, since it’s laid out the same as any other add on/mod folder.

A problem which I thought might be the cause is that there was some inconsistency between what the race is called and what it is referred to throughout the rest of the mod. There were places where it was called ‘colonial’ and places where it was called ‘bsg’ or ‘Battlestar Galactica’. It was even like this in the race data file, whereas other add ons just had the same simple name such as ‘order’ throughout. I therefore have tried changing it to just plain ‘colonial’, just in case it was getting confused. Unfortunately, still no. As I said, just the folder being in the GSB folder causes the game to crash. Take it out again, it’s fine. Not sure what would cause that.

Is anything being written to your errors.txt file? Sometimes that can give you an idea of where the problem is occurring.

That shouldn’t be the issue, as where it is called BSG is simply the directory folder, the install file, and the race file, and that is only under the display name of the mod, not the race name, ship names or anything else.

This should be the top of the races.txt file:

name = "colonial" guiname = "Battlestar Galactica" logo = "bsg.jpg" debrisstartuv = 32 debrisenduv = 64 escapepodid = 2 shield = "normal_shield.dds" description = "In this alternate universe the Colonies have faired better against the Cylon attack that destroyed all 12 colonies." repairbotid = 1 contrailid = 1 music = federation_battle.ogg shieldcollapseuv = 1 defaultnames = colonial guiid = 999999 lockable = 0 unlockcost = 0

Now, for whatever reason I am getting (with full mod) 16 separate unknown slot type messages when I load the game. I am able to hit ok and continue. I am currently culling the modules for personal usage and if I eliminate this error I will share my solution, but this could be your hang up. After removing over half the modules I am down to 8-9 errors when I start the game now:) Again I am sorry you are having issues, but I just packaged up what Chop has put together for us so graciously. All mods have growing pains and this one is currently pretty complex and will take some sorting out. So please be patient with us and it will get sorted out, and you will get your BSG fix

Don’t worry, I’m not about to attribute any failings to you and especially not to PorkChop. It’s likely it’s partly my own failure, not being a very computer-literate person. However, on the error file front, this has popped up every time I’ve tried to start the game by the looks of it:

13/8/2012 - 10::34 - Unknown Slot Type for module:…\src\SIM_ShipModuleType.cpp 75

Yeah I get 16 of those. Literally 16 each time I start since installation. It is on my list, lol.

I’m uploading everything again, including everything rather than risk missing something

I’m also using the full version 1.57 with the add ons of the swarm, tribe, and order. If you dont have them it might account for the unknown slot types like sim_kineticweapon

Create a Colonial folder in Data/Bitmaps/Ships and place these folders into it…
mediafire.com/?z8u821h5z3k7a3i
mediafire.com/?7btsc7p2tpbliqp
mediafire.com/?d7m4tedsapp1jpx
mediafire.com/?fbuwrv3n4nw7b9n
mediafire.com/?11m3y4owdd99i8i
mediafire.com/?r6qm52mj2mgv6xi
mediafire.com/?cd35hlc917giidx

Add these files to the data/bitmaps/fx folder:
mediafire.com/?o46iolb14bmmlmj

These go into the data/modules folder
mediafire.com/?8c1g9wcxej9pdxp

Place the 2 txt files in the data/races folder
and the jpg into the data/bitmaps/races folder:
mediafire.com/?0d6d5zedn1ijeue

These go into the data/sound folder:
mediafire.com/?p80bcybnsw5t8ti

You’ll need to create a folder named “colonial” in the data/bitmaps/turrets folder and place these in them:
mediafire.com/?9xah4pv9db59s2x

And finally add this txt files to the data/shipnames folder:
mediafire.com/?954e6rll7lovc79

I wonder if its due to the kinetic weapons, smartbomb modules, and the armour repair crews… put together they number 16 items

Partial Success! The Colonials have appeared as a race. However, they have no ships… I wonder if you forgot to put the data/hulls entries in? I put the ones from a previous download in, and an error came up when I tried to go into ship design saying there was a problem with turret mapping?

However, IT ALMOST WORKED!! :smiley:

Scratch my last! IT WORKS!!! Permission to wave hands in the air and scream: “It’s aliiiiiiiiiiive!!” :smiley:

Will now play until my eyeballs melt!

jump up and clap hands with glee!

Oh, if there should be a weapon in there that looks like a ratty old sofa… it is. It is a reference to the machima series called Clear Skies which is based in the Eve Online universe.

Could be, I am running the latest with Parasite…? Can you list those 16 modules?

Two things I would suggest for your mod:* I suggest setting up you mod as modular: rather than insert your files directly into the GSB Data folder, I recommend setting it up similar to the way the expansion packs are added. Take a look at some of the other mods in the forum to see what I mean.

• Looking at the file in the race folder, I noticed you copied the Federation’s Victory/Defeat messages and the names; I suggest creating your own names and messages.

I dont know how to do that…

and perhaps I uploaded the wrong race file, this is what mine reads as…

[victory_messages]
0 = “Fraked”
1 = “Lords of Kobol didn’t hear your prayer”
3 = “Pwned”
4 = “Previously on Battlestar Galactica… boom!”
5 = “Sometimes the hard 6 rolls you”
6 = “How did you expect to win with such felgercarb for ships”
7 = “Ok, next crisis.”
8 = “you just got fraked big time.”
9 = “At least you didn’t have to watch Galactica 1980.”
10 = “Time for some Ambrosia in a hot tub with Starbuck.”
11 = “In space, no one can hear you get pwned”

[defeat_messages]
1 = “Previously on Battlestar Galactica… Pwned”
2 = “I’ve always liked toasters”
3 = “This never happened on the tv show”
4 = “Well, its still better than Galactica 1980”
5 = “Admiral Cain just rolled over in his or her grave”
6 = “DELETED!”
7 = “By your command”
8 = “Now go home and get your shine box!”
9 = “I had a bad feeling about this.”
10 = “A change in plans might be in order.”

[crew]
0 = “Apollo”
1 = “Adama”
2 = “Athena”
3 = “Sheba”
4 = “Baltar”
5 = “Boomer”
6 = “Jolly”
7 = “Starbuck”
8 = “Mookie”
9 = “the Dane”
10 = “Chuckles”
11 = “Husher”
12 = “Washout”
13 = “Deatmeat”
14 = “Glory hole”
15 = “Biff”
16 = “dont call me Shirley”
17 = “Tippman”
18 = “Zuul”
19 = “Gozer”
20 = “Ash”
21 = “Number6”
22 = “Dingleberry”
23 = “Yoink”
24 = “Kain”
25 = “Cain”
26 = “McFly”
27 = “Scotty”
28 = “Khan!”
29 = “Chief”
30 = “Galen”
31 = “Kara”
32 = “Bob”
33 = “Sol”
34 = “Fodder”
35 = “Tarquin”
36 = “JR”

All the rail guns, the colonial_cruiser_defense_emp_pulse_generator, and the colonial_cruiser_other_armor_repair_crew plus their Frigate equivalent

I did that with my download links.

As far as the files that don’t work, I have started finding some, the cruiser nuke with decoys is an error generator. I will try to weed out others as I have time. I only have the bow turrets and native galactica turrets " old tech, but effective" the 20mm all work fine. I will check the rail guns. The repair crews, emp shielding all work.

It seems several of the capital ship based missiles are causing the slot type issues. I have put the mod on an extreme diet and have it working well.