Battlestar Galactica Colonial Fleet Mod - Please Help!

Actually, if you loaded the files into a separate folder like it was an add on like the tribe or swarm it prolly wont work. You need to put them in as if they were part of the original installation.

I think part of his issue is the the BSG mod according to your file structure being part of the Federation it appears. I have actually set them up as their own race and added separate install files etc for them. That may be why I am missing some sounds, FX etc because they are not in the BSG folder. I will try to trace some of this down this weekend.

Other than it not working… how does it look?

It looks pretty good so far. I would like to see higher resolution images of the two major hulls I have tried out (Galactica and Pegasus). Some of the turret sizes need tweeking I think, for example the bow guns I would probably set them as size = 0, make the AA turrets smaller etc.

Please take all of this as constructive criticism, I am completely stoked about playing a BSG mod PERIOD! I am only offering my opinions in an effort to improve the experience. So anyway:

*So far most of the AA turrets have insanely high tracking speed, and many of your volume levels are too high. 1 is the standard level in game, and I tend to reduce more than boost on those.
*Turret Sizes need tweeking as mentioned above.
*Consider tweaking weapons ranges/rate of fire with such large ships. Often times speed is a penalty when doing this.
*The power core/chain reaction destruction could stand more scrutiny from a player and modder stand point.
*Higher res art
*really evaluate the number of turrets and the seeming redundancy of some. I completely understand the desire for accuracy, but having 3-4 turrets that are basically the same or so similar that it is tough to tell the difference ingame then they might not be necessary. Most times less is more.
*Add pre-loaded hulls. It gives the gamer the exact experience you want them to have, and if they like it great. If not, they can roll their own.
*Add some BSG scenarios. Even if very basic, with cool BSG Music!!!

So that is the criticism so far. I haven’t play tested near as much as I would like, but those are the observations so far. The work seems awesome and considering the way you had to upload it you did a GREAT job of making sure most everything was included. Hell I have uploaded a “completed” mod that had more bugs than I have found so far in yours. Oh I did figure out some missing stuff:

Orignial uploads are missing the:
*cannon fade 2 (paraphrasing the exact file name) *present in sound redo
*turret_missile_m7 (still missing) affected Modules are the Frigate/Cruiser Col. Krate MkV LRCM Bat
*Fighter EMP Missle art is missing *present in icon redo
*I am getting 15 empty Fighter/Other modules with No Art, No description. I cannot seem to locate corresponding module files. That is probably my error for “unknown slot type” as I have manually went through every file checking category and slot type, and I think I checked size, but don’t remember.

I hope that helps and I will keep working and debugging from my end.

missing files:

mediafire.com/?ig8q9s4ak6d0agg

Yea, i did get a bit silly with the turrets. I tried to include variety with the less powerful turrets by giving them a faster rate of fire or a faster tracking speed.

As far as the AAA goes, I’m trying to simulate the impenetrable wall of flak we’ve seen battlestars put up. I tried to keep the tracking speeds around that as the defense laser which was 3.7. Goofed a bit with the 20mm dual gatlings set at 5.

I intended to delete the emp missiles from the Colonial arsenal, while I’m sure they were technologically do-able I dont recall seeing them in the show.

I did put in an emp generator capable of destroying missiles based off of what Apollo was able to do in the original 2 part miniseries with the pulse generators and the ftl engines of Colonial One.

I havnt any experience in creating pre fab ships or scenarios… but i’ll give it a shot. I’m gunna try and bang out the Cylon ship mod 1st and then make them for both. Possibly even a mixed fleet scenario as scene towards the end of the show.

Prefab ships are easy, all you do is pull the ship file frome your saved hulls directory :slight_smile:

DERP!!!

This is exactly what I did. I just presumed they had their own space. Would be great if you could send me the separate race version at some point in one big chunk, been waiting for this mod a while :slight_smile:

I’ll getting started on the Cylon mod after I’ve had my nap. Shouldnt be too much of a hassle given the apparent lack of diversity in the cylon fleet… even with the ships in the original show factored in.

I have both a Mac and PC compiled version packaged up if it is okay for me to share. It would be good to work up a read me.txt file giving credit for art etc. I wont upload without permission. I have done nothing besides package the mod into a stand alone mod/race, generated the necessary install file, tweaked the race file to recognize ship names and the colonial race and such. I did add the vanilla race standard turret mapping in the race file trying to fix the mapping/unknown slot type error I am getting.

Chop if you want to look at what I have done before approving release I can upload the mod sans images (for smaller download) for you to check out.

feel free to upload… im curious as to the cause of that glitch mapping/unknown slot type error

Mac:
mediafire.com/?644qib3hdiqdm2c

PC:
mediafire.com/?4r8gsmz454km7t2

Here ya go.

Okay, I have no idea what’s going on. I couldn’t get the mod to work after unzipping the folder into my Gratuitous Space Battles folder, and after trying to remove what I’d put in to try it a different way, the basic game wouldn’t work. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the game and IT STILL WON’T PLAY. WTF is going on? I didn’t delete anything that wasn’t part of the mod so why won’t it even work after reinstallation???

Panic over, got the game to work thanks to the support bit of the forums, though now neither of the mods I had on there are working…and I have to start the game again from scratch unlocking stuff. Oh well…Seriously though, how do you install the mod? I’m not brilliant with computers but I got two before this one to work.

Check out the read me in my B5 mod it is pretty thorough.

Basically unzip, find GSB on your system, Move MOD folder into your data directory inside the GSB folder(you will see other race’s folders here). Then move or copy the install file into the main data folder for the game in the INSTALL folder. Do the same for the sound files. Then you should be good to go.

I don’t know if you have a Mac, PC, regular or Steam version of the game…but I hope it is basically the same.

I’ve got a regular PC version downloaded directly from Positech. Really confused because I’ve done all the things you’ve told me to, but it still won’t play. I keep seeing these .DS_Store files in the folders for the mod, should they be there? Apart from that I have no idea. I’m starting to feel like I’m just being an idiot.

Are you moving the BSG folder into your Resource folder? that is about the only thing I could think of as being done wrong.

Resource folder? I put it into the general GSB folder, where the folders for the other add ons and mods are.

Are you using a Mac? Because even though you’ve made a Windows version I’m wondering whether that’s why it isn’t working. It might be where all these .DS_Store files are coming from, because they aren’t anywhere else in the GSB folders apart from the colonials mod.