Current Work In progress

Looks great, ive wanted this from 1.0

Ooo, that looks like fun. Please be sure it plays nice with mass deploy. :slight_smile:

Will there ever be weapon salvos? (asking it here because the other threads have basically been ignored)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3617
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2777

salvos are on the list, although maybe for an expansion rather than the core game. Not sure yet…

But the max fighters per squadron is still limited to the original 16. I see no purpose in reducing the squad size other than to use target painters. Shouldn’t there be some extra large fighters to justify the reduced squadron size option? Possibly consider them Corvette class?

My mod has corvette size vessels.

I think that’s a good addition.

A few times I have ended up in a situation where I had only a little money left but plenty of pilots available so I couldn’t deploy any frigates or cruisers but I could have deployed like 12 more fighters but instead I couldn’t put in any because 16 fighters would have cost too much. :frowning:

Nice addition to the tweaking area of the game. :slight_smile:

Salvos + a new Order of “Hit and run” where they come into range, fire for x amount of seconds then bugger out of range.

New UI think that various people have requested. Buttons that allow you to filter the ship design list to just show fighters, or frigates, or cruisers. Should make things slightly less cumbersome for people with a ton of ship designs to choose from.

I think that it would be far more useful to keep the mix of unit types, but sort them BY RACE.

Ie, when you have a given race selected, it pulls ships from a folder with the race name inside the ships folder.

When you deploy, you want to see all the ships in one place—what you don’t want to see are ships you are not allowed to deploy because they are the wrong race.

you should never, ever see ships of more than one race in that screen. Is this happening? under what circumstances?

I am impressed dude. Those ship filters are like totally

While reducing clutter is nice, I think this only fixes a relatively small part of the “pain” felt by players regarding ship design management. The larger issues I’ve seen are:

[]The “load ship” window on the ship design screen does not tell you anything about the designs, so if you have many of them it is almost mandatory that you encode relevant information about the design into the ship design’s name (at least race and size).[/]
[]The ship design screen allows you to work on hulls for races other than the currently selected one, even when you access it from the deployment screen![/]
[]There is no way to group ship designs into folders, compare designs or search through designs to find a specific one you want.[/]
[]Ships that are invalid due to patches or modding can’t be loaded, even if minor changes could make them legal again. (I’d prefer that loading work, with any modules that are broken or don’t exist being removed. Saving an invalid design could still fail.)[/]
[]The deployment screen doesn’t immediately identify a ship design except by the hull shape, so if you reuse the same hull for many designs, they’ll all look identical until you hover the mouse over them.[/]
[]When you hover over a ship class on the deployment screen, you only get to see the class name, not any other useful details (like price).[/]
[]When a ship is too expensive to be deployed, you can’t even see the class name when you hover over it![/]
[]You can’t see the details of a ship design without deploying at least one ship of the design. While you hold a ship it’s modules will be displayed, but as soon as you let go (off the screen) the info disappears again.[/]

Oh wow, that will help a TON!

Tater has a point, but I still think sorting by ship makes more sense. In a perfect world we could do both :slight_smile: In my best Eric Idle voice, “hint-hint, nudge-nudge”
Cliffski, if there’s not enough button space to sort by race, maybe you could add keyboard shortcuts instead? ex:

F1 - SHOW ALL RACE SHIPS
F2 - Show Federation ships only
F3 - Show Rebel ships only
F4 - Show Alliance ships only
F5 - Show Empire ships only.

—or—

S - Show all Ships.
F - Federation ships only.
R - Rebel ships only.
A - Alliance ships only.
E - Empire ships only.

These coupled with the ship buttons you already added would be perfect.

Yes, this all needs improvement, I’m trying to interleave stuff like this with bug fixes, new features etc.

Another new thing. This allows challenges to be aware of what mods or expansions are installed, and auto-tags (but you can un-tag) your challenges with them, so that people downloading them can get a nice friendly message if they don’t have the right stuff installed:

My bad.

I think perhaps I was thinking of the “load” screen or “change” WRT hulls. I get the total list even though I’m in Fed, etc.

I’m sorry Cliffski,
I haven’t gotten far enough to have multiple race designs yet. I just assumed they’d all show up together hence my suggestion. So if you can’t mix different races ships together in one mission my suggestion probably isn’t relevant or needed.

New stuff: