It's time to SAC up

I wait with anticipation.

The latest few strings are miserable for Empire. I’m not making much leeway.

Anyone else attempting anything? We could use some more participation.

I guess it’s just getting too hard for most people. The last few sequences have been challenging.

Some of the empire builds I’ve come up with for SAC are doing alright against some of the Rebel/Alliance builds but I have been as of yet unable to beat any of Follick’s Fed fleets. I’m going to try some new experimentation tonight.

I finally beat Sac-15 with an Empire fleet. I basically copied your own fleet’s strategy but had to add two anti-fighter cruisers to give my fighters help. Is there any decent empire fighter build? I would like to use such a build in an air superiority role of clearing other fighters but no empire fighter I’ve designed can go toe to toe with any other decently constructed fighters.

Sac-15 is a very tough design to beat. I’m envying races like the rebels and the federation more and more. To put cruisers in the battle that can go toe to toe is a much greater expense for Empire. I was outnumbered in both cruisers and fighters and still pulled off a victory.

Of course, the fleet I designed to take Sac 15 down was useless in a number of the other sac challenges as the anti-fighter cruisers just became expensive dead weight. What this tells me is that I don’t think I’ll be able to post my own sac challenge anytime soon.

These are fun and very challenging, thanks!

I have been putting up a few test baloons, but it appears my tribe fleet is basically at the end of the road. I will have to start over with a new and different concept to put a dent in your’s and follick’s frigate fleets. Then again, it’s usually more fun to lose at GSB than win, because you generally learn something when losing. That, and the explosions are just as gratuitous when your ships are exploding. :slight_smile:

The nice thing about SAC is that if you’re ever at a loss on how to beat something, you can always look at the next three challenges to possibly get some other ideas. I guess it sort of becomes a repository in that sense.

Fleets styled like 28 or 33 also do well against such ‘slow’ fleets.

Oops, I posted “SAC 36” because I didn’t notice there was already a “SAC-36” (the hyphen matters!). I don’t have the expansions, so it beats the last three SACs that I could play: 35, 30, and 29. SAC-36 is swarm, so I would have skipped that anyway (and follick tells me his 36 beats mine). OTOH, I did get a comment describing my SAC 36 as “nigh impossible.”

It’s an excellent challenge in my opinion, definitely SAC-worthy.
As far as the numbering goes, it’s not the first time. There are 2 SAC-10’s and 2 SAC-23’s already. Now there are 2 SAC-36’s.

That 36-2, got a nice combined arms effect

I think we’re collectively figuring out that anti-cruiser frigates need to be fast.

If the cruisers retreat from the frigates, the frigates need to be even faster. :slight_smile:

So far, it seems only follick and I have beaten yurch’s SAC-34 modified fleet (Challenge ID 4586320 for anyone who has no idea where it is).

I think that’s highfiveworthy.

Just beaten:

SAC-36 (follick - 4584768)
SAC 36 (nullspace - 4585344)

Failed vs.
SAC 35 (follick - 4584026)

Realized my cruisers have a habit of having a max speed of 0.12 or 0.13 and this fleet wasn’t eligible anyway. Whoops!

Posted SAC-37. It’s a dedicated Anti-Frigate fleet which is easily defeated by many cruiser fleets. It defeats SAC 36, SAC-36, SAC-35, SAC-34 and Yurch’s modified SAC-34 just for fun fleet.

The modified-34 fleet is my attempt to practice what I preach. I think it should still be able to take nearly all past fleets but SAC-18 (which is fighterless). SAC-20 outlasts long enough that it comes down to a very inconsistent fighter kill, though.

The air defense can be made far more aggressive with the use of painters, but at that point the fleet will start to have trouble against fleets without rocket fighters.

I love frigates. I’m pleased that they’re still competitive (at least on this map) despite what feels like a general forum consensus against them, although so many recent Swarm entries start to raise some uncomfortable questions about the relative power of Swarm speed bonuses to other races.

Don’t worry too much about it, there’s been more than one fleet that breaks that rule already. (They are, subsequently, drowned in righteous plasma)

Originally I thought armor blocks would be much more of a problem, but thankfully nobody has tried/managed to pull off the more exploitative things about them.

So why didn’t you post it as a numbered SAC challenge?

Ooh, if the fleet that fizzled against 35 beats 37 that counts as beating the last 3 :smiley:

Edit: It is done! Lots of fleets enjoy having a carrier-cruiser chill out doing nothing at the back, I’ve noticed.
Unfortunately, I don’t know how to post the SAC-1 map so I can’t put my challenge up now. ._.;

Go to the deployment screen against one of the SAC challenges, deploy your fleet, then click the Challenge button.

Err… I dunno. I’ve mostly been trying to develop fleets that go in other directions. 37 would have made it irrelevant anyway.

Just hit the ‘challenge’ button in the lower left while you have that map open in a deployment.