[MOD] Star Blazers!

i highly doubt you’ll be able to pull this part off but why not make it so that the ships with a “Carrier” bay you know that repair fighters … have those be able to refill ammo for the guns and such you know?

Havent tried playing it yet but it would sure be very handy im sure! i’ll get around to playing soon though just busy with homework, daily promotions games give, etc. so i’ll get around to it in about an hour or so

I tested that, and fighter repair doesn’t reset the reload timer on the salvo_interval. Would be awesome if it did.

I made “bombs” for the Gamilons, too. One type does huge damage, but the range is tiny, and you only get 2.

The next version is gonna tone those down a little, the Striker is pretty nasty right now armed with bombs.

I found a bug almost right away! … you canot enter HQ (fleet HQ … or at least thats what i think it was called) else the game will crash and it says something about cannot find turret mapping … or something

I’ll let you know if i find more!

it also seems that you need to fix one of the equips … something is locked and i cant tell what it is because i cant enter Fleet HQ without crashing with your mod … so you may want to look into that. also a few things could use a rebalance. Such as the engine … thruster IV. Although yes it gives good boost its not worth the outragious 10 power each thruster especially since 2 supercharged total to 8.20 and give FAR MORE thrust

You may also want to fix the whole “top mounted turret” and “Bottem mounted turret (invisible)” because the bottem is weaker than the top mounted and the only difference is fire rate (in a bad way), and damage (in a bad way) but the energy cost is the same.

the range for the “main cannon” is very big it reaches out all the way to 2 and 1/2 screens away (estimate) or maybe 1 and 1/2 so its a bit excessive … kind of like a sniper weapon only instead it doesnt have a long fire intervial (make it longer if its to be more balanced) and i’ll tell you more as i find the time … im busy with benchmarks all week so i wouldnt count on too much help from me

I must have missed correcting the bottom turret. As for ranges, It’s for the big maps. I don’t like small maps (even 4k is small).

So there are 2 balance issues. One, how are they vs the Gamilons, and 2, how are they vs everyone else.

IN general, the GSB ranges are absurd. 600 meters? 1000 meters? The tribe’s cannon are no different than modern naval or artillery guns—the range should be many thousands of meters, and that’s planetside. In space… Even if the range in GSB was kilometers it would be short.

I think I know what the bug is, too.

I found the bug, the edf disruptor bomb tubes were locked, and that made it blow up because I had not properly renamed it inside the file.

Good eye on the frigate engines. I simply doubled the power of the best frigate engine. A little more than twice the power for a little more than twice the thrust.

The question is should frigates get the same supercharged engine (power per thrust) as the larger ships.

Note that the cruiser supercharged engines weighs 128 vs 31 for a thrust of 130 using 5.3 power.

I have the SB frigate engines making 150 thrust with 10 power, but only 31 weight. So they are getting less thrust per power unit, but at 25% the weight.

lol yea but some of us are too cheap to spend the equip slots (the stuff other than hardpoints … i forgot hteir name lol) to just be able to get faster so in the long run going with the supercharged engines is better than the custom one you gave which although give more thrust per unit … it takes up more power which ends up taking 1 or 2 power generators extra to have a “good” configuration so it sacrifices firepower (or at least thats how it seems for me)

Except I only have engines added for frigates, and there are no supercharged frigate engines in GSB.

So you’d be right if there was such an engine to use instead. Your choice is 2x frigate III, which is still less thrust, and only marginally less power used—at twice the weight.

oh lol woops i must have gotten cruiser engines mixed up with the Frigate engines XD silly me

Just found out about GSB and this mod. This looks great, I’m going to try and download the mod tonight and play with it. I’m pretty handy with Photoshop, and I program as a day job, so I can lend a hand if you need anything done.

Hello, tater!

If you’re still reading the GSB forums, I wanted to thank you again for a smashing great mod in Star Blazers. My family are still going strong with it. They think it’s beyond awesome that we now have a tactical Star Blazers wargame on the computer. I must agree. :slight_smile:

I must also compliment you again on your hard work and very careful balancing of abilities between vanilla GSB and your mod, as well as between the EDF and the Gamilons. I spent the entire winter recuperating [ :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: ] from an injury that often made it too difficult or too painful to use the computer. Clarity of thought was also at a premium for me, and I’m sorry that I didn’t furnish nearly as much helpful feedback at that time as I wanted to. I do not want you to think that your work on this mod was unappreciated or worse, forgotten. As my “avatar” (heh-heh) proves, Star Blazers had a notable presence in my personal fandom long before I found GSB.

In the unlikely event that I can acquire the ability to handle .dds files on this computer and actually get proficient with same, I would love to find a way to add TV season 2’s White Comet Empire into your mod. I know that we don’t yet have the coding in place to mimic energy-based directional splash weapons, so no Magna Flame Guns yet for the Cometine ships here. However, their bizarre blend of dual laser-beam/missile-launcher turrets, heavy energy cannons, antimatter missiles, and amazing array of deadly fighters have really re-captured my imagination.

One thing I’d really, really like to do is begin working up GSB designs for EDF Battle Satellites, the standard “Borodino” Main Battleship class, and of course the awesome new “Andromeda” Space Battleship class. I keep taking notes mentally about it, as those additions mean that the Gamilons will need more units in order to retain parity.

Any thoughts you might have on any of the above subjects are something that I’d love to hear if you’re willing to discuss it. Take care!

Nasty dilemma time for El Astro… I need to re-download the last version of the Star Blazers (v0.6) as noted here. Unfortunately, the link is down. Tater, if you’re still out there, please re-upload whatever you have so that interested players can still play your awesome mod. Thanks!

Does anyone else have a copy of Star Blazers mod version 0.6 that they can re-upload for sharing???

In the event that tater isn’t returning to GSB, I’m considering adopting his possibly-orphaned mod and attempting to add new content to it. Even though I don’t have the “newest” material pertaining to it (see request above), I may upload the original version of Star Blazers just to keep the flame burning in case others wish to try it for the first time.

Even as enthusiastic as I am about the world of Star Blazers coming to GSB, I’m reluctant to take this step because I don’t want to mess up the mod with shoddy content. Then again, the mod itself is very much incomplete where its creator left it…and I’m practically a life-long Star Blazers fan, with very clear knowledge about where it needs to go from here. Both the Earth Defense Force and the Gamilons both need certain additional ship classes in-game which did appear in the TV series. Hell, there’s still an entire major race that’s waiting in the wings: the White Comet Empire. [-sigh-] If I ever want to see the Cometine faction added to this mob, it may fall upon my shoulders to see it through.

Tater, give me a shout here if you’re still lurking on occasion. Let me know your intentions concerning this mod.

I found a link to the EDF that’s still up:

filefront.com/15346517/Earth … cefix.rar/

only contains 4 ships though.

Hybrinoid, thanks for your efforts on my behalf. Alas and darn, the mod D/L you revealed is actually from tater’s earliest public release, dating to even before the inclusion of the Gamilon race faction. :frowning: I really had my hopes up when I clicked the filefront link…then I crashed and burned when I saw how early a version it was. “C’est la vie.” I still appreciate that you were trying to help, though! [-thumbs up-]

Unless I can somehow make contact with another GSBer who did download version 0.6 of the Star Blazers mod and kept the .rar archive of it, I’m pretty much out of luck. The fact that my injury and hospital stay back during the winter coincided with tater trying to drum up interest for Star Blazers was a tragic example of bad timing for me. Now that he’s gone and his links are down for the most complete version of his very incomplete mod, I have a lot of serious thinking to do.

In a way, it might not matter if I don’t find a copy of v0.6. There’s still so much to be added to the mod that it’s all pretty much bad news for me, anyhow. I’ll ponder this over the long holiday weekend coming up.

I’m sorry to disappoint you. It was the only link I could find that was still up. But what puzzles me is… how is that possible? Who would still be downloading the early version enough for it to be available? wouldn’t that apply to version 0.6? Well, at least you’re not alone. I don’t have the mod either. If anyone here has the .rar archive (or the mod itself, just compress it), could you reupload it on mediafire/filefront/etc.?

I had v 0.61 somewhere on my HDD

Here’s a link :

http://www.mediafire.com/?ao34lx3zxwi

Have fun !

One of the best mods IMHO : very different feeling, more strategic, very long ranges !

Can someone link where to get the latest version of this MOD, If it is .061 then above does it.

Long time lurker first time poster… First off, thank you tater for creating this! Second, thank you knightofni for reposting the file! I have been a long time fan of Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato and being able to set up EDF vs Gamilon conflicts like this is sheer joy.

I am curious what module was being used for the Wave Motion Gun on the Yamato. I don’t see a fit in the contents of the Star Blazers v0.61 Mod. I could be very easily be blind. On page 1 of this thread there appeared to be a functioning WMG, if it is not in this file, does anyone have an idea on any appropriate texture/sound/stat combinations? I am going to fake one up for the time being since Wildstar needs something to fire. Any input would be appreciated.

If I come up with anything that seems appropriate I will post it here. I am so glad to see this thread still alive! It’s so wonderful to have this mod!!!

Mediafire isn’t working!

HELP!

could someone put it on MEgaUpload so it will work?

I’m using a Mac, and for some reason Mediafire just sits there when I click download.

The .zip file on MegaUpload would mean mac ppl like myself could use this mod.

I’ll get you taken care of. Will post back here soon; stand by…