PATCH RELEASED (1.63)

just email cliff@positech.co.uk

This may sound like a silly question…sorry. But if the game has updated to 1.47 shouldn’t it say this on the main screen where it still say Full 1.46?

If I need to still patch it, where are the patches found?

thanks.

most likely you didn’t install the patch to the right location. The patches are found in User\My docs\My games\Gratuitous space battles\web\

Jukelo,

Thanks for the info. Now at least I can see that the 1.47 downloaded, but seems to be corrupted, and I have found the debug files which also help to tell what may have gone wrong.

It would be nice if this information had been in the manual or some other place…maybe I just missed it.

Thanks again. Not to see if I can get it updated…it will be nice to be able to save deploys, and see the ship type names in the deploy screen.

Btw I just noticed patches are stored in the \patches\folder, not \web.

If your patch is corrupt, remove it, open the up (no file extension) file in \web\ and make sure it points to a previous date. Then run the game again, it should redownload the patch. Next when you run the patch, make sure you install it in the right folder, so double check. If you’re installing it over the steam version, be aware that the installer will add ‘\gratuitous space battles’ at the end of the path, so you’ll have to remove that or copy/paste the files.

Jukelo,

Thanks for the info, but I was feeling a little adventurous earlier today, and so I made a back up copy of the GratSpaceBattle folders in the My Games directory and then uninstalled/reinstalled the game. Interestingly, the uninstall didn’t remove the My Games folders and so I did (because I had backups), and then reinstalled. It tried to update, but would die during the download/run of 1.47 saying that the file was corrupted. I finally got it to download correctly by using a VPN with a proxie out of America…maybe the servers don’t like downloading to China where I live :wink: Anyways with the VPN the patch was able to download, and install without a problem.

Everything seems to be fine, and I am enjoying the fixes from 1.47, and gradually copying over some of my ship designs from the backup (I had too many floating around in the directory before).

My next thing to try out is if I can move a deploy file into a new battle. It would sure be nice instead of having to start with a basic deploy and then make some modifications. I’ll see what it does to the system.

Thanks again for the help

Installed Windows 7 a month ago, decided to install GSB and it says 1.46 full. Thing is when I start the game it doesn’t download the 1.47 patch. I am going to buy the nomads DLC, but obviously I think I would need the latest version before installing the DLC. Is there a chance the patch is floating somewhere as a seperate .exe? :slight_smile: Or should I reinstall the game fully?

EDIT:
Seems that all I had to do was cut and paste the my games GSB folder to another location, then let the game run and create a new folder in the my games location. Then I copied over the original folder again and it downloaded the 1.47 patch. Weird really, but at least its fixed. I hope I don’t have to do this everytime.

The updater checks once a day for a patch. What you did was effectively kill the file which says “I’ve checked today”.

Ok so next time i should keep trying at different times until it finds the patch? Thanks for the clarification cliffski

Have you tried manually changing the date on your machine? Not sure if that would trigger the update or not until a manual check is included. (Of course, now that it’s a new day, this problem is probably moot.)

What’s new in 1.48?

1. Performance: Major rewrite of tons of areas to reduce memory usage and squash lots of small memory leaks.
  2. Bug fix: Tractor beam turrets are no longer drawn when a ship should appear cloaked.
  3. Bug Fix: Limpet launchers and Plasmas are now fired from the correct position when placed in multiple-hardpoint slots.
  4. Bug Fix: Fixed a few minor miscalculations that meant ship damage looked (purely visually) like it was being repaired faster than it actually was, especially when cloaked.
  5. Bug Fix: When you leave the ship design screen, any open module stat comparison windows are now closed.
    6) Some playbalance tweaks
  6. Bug Fix: Imperial fighters with tiny engine glows (also a nomad fighter) now no longer get drawn when the parent ship is docked at a carrier.

In particular I was wondering what went on in #6, are those the changes?

Yes they are :smiley:

Ships are acting “Cautious” when no “Cautious” order has been given (bug?).

Is that why my Swarm stunlock frigates keep popping off two shots and then fleeing behind the line of long-range cruisers?

Yeah this fighter cautious thing is really annoying… I even put the cautious tag on with retreat set at 100% damage and they still run.

Greets,

I just bought the game direct a few days ago and noticed that I have “Full 1.48”

Is there something I missed? 1.49 seems to have come out months ago.

it was a week ago at most, but the game auto-patches if you enter your serial code on the online screen

Um, where are the patch notes for 1.49?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2506

Not to complain or anything, but could we also have a manual download and install option?