Shipbuilding thread

Interesting new design aesthetic. I like this! It’s reminiscent of an Order/Rebel mashup, but without all of the obvious and easy Rebel hull sections randomly glued onto everything. :smiley: The “bare hullmetal” look is surprisingly nice on the blocky Order sub-hull sections.

Just discovered this thread, it’s just full of awesomeness !!

I know it’s a bit old, but this design is so great that i have to comment. Regarding the wings, i think making them bigger would do the trick [like twice bigger maybe].
Another detail : the engines look a bit small. Unless this is some sort of super slow ship :-). I hope to see more of this ship !

Yes, it gives some sort of WH40K feel, they look pretty cool

I agree on the new colour scheme, it’s looking good.

I’ve officially decided to go with this color scheme. I’ll recolor the windows, tractor beam emitter units (the two orange glow slots on the metal emitters), and the two rings on all the order engines, then post the results later on tonight.

My custom nuke launcher is balanced with the official races based on the cruiser_fastmissile module. Each missile does a total damage of 400 damage (300 explosive, 100 radiation). I doubled the firetime for the LargeNuke and drastically increased its weight, crew requirements, etc. I kept the minimum and maximum range the same to preserve balance.
Cruiser_fastmissile damage = 30, fire_interval = 2145. atheist_Cruiser_LargeNuke damage = 300 ( and 100 radiation damage), fire_interval = 4290. The LargeNuke does a total of 13.3 times more damage than the cruiser_fastmissile. Divide 13.3 by 2 for the doubled fire_interval = 6.65. So for the LargeNuke I multiplied the fastmissile’s cost, weight, crew_required, powerconsumed etc by 6.65. I only doubled the hitpoints, otherwise each ship would end up with an insane number.
I also made a frigate version, half the size and damage.

This is the cruiser version:

[config]
unlockcost = 0
lockable = 0
armour_penetration = 125
category = "WEAPONS"
classname = "SIM_MissileModule"
cost = 1024
crew_required = 93
damage = 300
decoy_release_range = 0
description = "Using fission technology, this nuke blasts and irradiates your enemies into oblivion!  Unfortunately, mounting a nuclear missile launcher on your ships comes at an extremely steep price.  This one is twice as powerful as the frigate version."
fire_interval = 4290
flareuvid = 2
flaresize = 24
fuel = 1400
guiname = "Atheist Large Cruiser Nuclear Missile"
has_decoys = 0
has_flare = 1
hitpoints = 210
icon = atheist_nuketurret.dds
min_range = 270
max_range = 900
missilelength = 15.0
missilespeed = 0.32
missilewidth = 4.0
name = "atheist_cruiser_LargeNuke"
powerconsumed = 27
shield_penetration = 100
size = "CRUISER"
sound = data/sounds/missile_launch.ogg
soundpriority = 0.75
soundvolume = 1.0
tracking_speed = 4.0
trail_fade_time = 1000
turnspeed = 1.0
turret_sprite = "turret_nuke_v1"
turretsize = 18.0
warhead = RADIATION
weight = 732
slot_type = TURRET
uisortpos = 5000
radiation_damage = 20
radiation_decay = 0.8
total_damage = 100
damage_duration = 5000
restricted = "atheist"

[dataitems]
0 = cost,DECIMAL
1 = weight,DECIMAL
2 = hitpoints,DECIMAL
3 = powerconsumed,DECIMAL
4 = max_range,DECIMAL
5 = damage,DECIMAL
6 = fire_interval,INTEGER
7 = tracking_speed,DECIMAL
8 = shield_penetration,DECIMAL
9 = armour_penetration,DECIMAL
10 = crew_required,INTEGER
11 = min_range,DECIMAL
12 = has_decoys,BOOL
13 = missilespeed,DECIMAL

I added color to the windows, engine bands, and the tractor beam emitters.

Lovely design :smiley:

The three others:

I like every one of these designs, maybe too simetrical for order designs but anyways nice designs, GW!
About the names, Freedom and Sactuary(?) are already taken by original gsb designs :wink:

Mad scientists tend to like symmetrical designs. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya, didn’t realize Freedom was taken by a Tribe design. It won’t cause a conflict though as I always name my ship types racename_shipname inside the hull file. As far as naming, I was going for words opposite of control and/or worship.

these ships are FREAKING AWSOME!!! symmetry ROCKS!!! ‘IWANTTHEMIWANTTHEMIWANTTHEM…’

//we now return you to the informative part of the post//

the hull color is awsome, and so is the blue lighting. The reactor and tractor color throw me off just the tiniest bit though. i really like the first pic, the ‘Freedom’.

I redesigned the Sanctuary cruiser to make it more consistent with the others. It’s even bigger now.

:smiley:
looks again
[size=200]:D[/size]
Praise be to their non-god for inspiring such ships!!! :smiley:
Make an new thread for this, though. Its nice, but its an awesome mod, it needs its own thread. :slight_smile:

Agreed fully!

[picard] Make it so. [/picard]

Will do. I’ll make a new thread once I’ve finalized my frigate designs. I’m also going to have to do some more balancing on my nuke. Apparently, doubling the fire time does little because missiles are traveling to their target for way more than a few seconds. With just four nuke turrets on each of three sanctuary cruisers, I blew through the entire Rebel fleet on “conquering Chiarn Prime” without taking any armor damage. :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing I noticed with the order is that the frigate designs have all the thrusters off to one side. If they were real, they would just fly in circles. I intend to fix this by using a symmetric design on them with multiple thrusters. With this race, I’m going for a “quality over quantity” approach of fewer but more powerful and more expensive ships. The differences in the hulls are higher thrust vs higher armor, shields, and more module slots. I’m also taking a very unusual step with this race. Since it is a small offshoot of a larger race, experienced pilots would be hard to come by. So I’m making better anti-fighter modules for frigates and cruisers, but giving the race absolutely no fighters.

These are very cool, and this is a good idea, but if you are making modules, discussing them, sharing updates on your race-specific ships, and talking about future changes to your mod, the “right time” is now. This is the Shipbuilding thread. Cool ship designs are welcome here, but full mods deserve their own thread.

Are you sure that 3 times more everything is good idea for cruiser anti-fighter? I should test it out myself, but I would think that it would be either too much or too little, right now I’m leaning towards too much, but as I said, I should playtest it.

if you have ever watched any of the old cartoons, you would know that the giant robots are inside these ships. the only ones that are robots themselves are the fighters.

sorry for the slow reply. didnt notice that comment until just now ^^

Does anyone know this ship? And is this a good enough twist to attempt to use in GSB?

Also Does anyone know this ship?

The ship above was edited by myself to look as it does as it was just a black and white picture. Before I knew it I had 10 layers with colors, then I started to combines like layers and ended up with only 3 before I was done.

Untitled2.jpeg has a full set of dds files and is ready for me to make a hull file to get it into the game.

Geez no guesses?

both are concept art from Star trek. Now will that help you out any?

The first is a concept art of the USS-Defiant?

Yup, maybe someone’s customized defiant derived model, i guess. But the basic shapes are certainly a federation defiant theme -.-